AnsweredAssumed Answered

Old 2nd Hand Workstation vs. New Home Built PC

Question asked by Aitor Molina on Jun 25, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 26, 2014 by Jerry Steiger

Hello Everyone,

I have come to this wonderful forum as I have some questions about what is the better PC for solidworks and some other tasks.

Firstly I am looking at spending about 1600 Euros (max 1750) on a PC for Solidworks modeling, analysis, and some rendering (very rarely), FEA (both structural (Ansys) and fluids (Star CCM+), and maybe some gaming duty (very rarely and likely not the newest games). I am using this as a personal computer (ie not for business but for my own engineering projects) so I do not need the ultimate in stability. While I know I am spending a lot I would like to keep the PC for a while and would rather not need to upgrade in the next 2-3 years.

So my first option is a used Dell Precision T7500 workstation I am getting for 1580E

Processor: 2 x Intel Xeon X5680

RAM: 48GB DDR3 1066Mhz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX4800

HDD: 2 x 600GB 15k RPM SAS Drives

PSU: 1100 Watt 80PLUS Silver

Downsides: No USB 3.0, No SATA 6.0 Gb/s for newest SSDs (an upgrade I will do later)

Then I was thinking of building my own PC with the following specs.

Processor: i7 4770K (with some light OC)

RAM 32GB DDR3 1600 Mhz

GPU: Nvidia Quadro K4000 (used)

SSD: 512GB SATA 6.0 Gb/s

HDD: 1TB 7.2K RPM

PSU: Something with enough headroom for SLI GPUs and as efficient as possible

Which one would you reccomend? Is my idea for the homebuilt PC totally off base and should I swap some components? Do you think the workstation will be OK for the next couple of years?

Thanks in advanced!

Outcomes