4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 9:52 PM by John Burrill

Exported dxf/dwg is rotated

Karl Palutke

I'm trying to export a slddrw to dxf or dwg (both have exhibited the problem).  They export fine, but when imported into AutoCAD, the portrait drawing is imported as landscape.  Does anybody know a SW option (or an AutoCAD one, I'm not picky) that controls this?  Any other ways of getting around this?

Thanks,

Karl

• Re: Exported dxf/dwg is rotated
          John Burrill

Are you saying that the geoemtry imports into AutoCAD rotated 90 degrees?

Karl Palutke

Thanks for the response, and apologies for not making it clearer.  The geometry (and sheet format) imports correctly, but they import (scaled) onto a portrait sheet instead of a landscape sheet.  So they take up the bottom of the sheet and leave space on the top.

Deepak Gupta

Check the templates used in your ACAD.

Also can you install DraftSight(a free software for DWG/DXF Files editing) and check the exported files in this tool to verify as where is the problem.

John Burrill

OK, I think I see what's going on.

The problem is your AutoCAD templates page setup has a portrait sheet and the plot area is set to Display or the plot scale is set to 25.4:1.  There could be other combinations of settings in the AutoCAD page setup dialog that are causing it to display this way.  Solidworks doesn't export page setup information to AutoCAD just the graphics.

Now, on the SolidWorks side, if you check your export options for DWG, you'll note that it export your drawing sheets to individual files, or to individual tabs in one file and that it has options to use the current SolidWorks view scales for model graphics or to scale the border and annotations so that the geometry is rendered 1:1 in AutoCAD (if you have different view scales then this functionality breaks down).  Set these controls according to whether you're making a print-ready drawing or a file for CAM operations.

If you're passing a file off to an AutoCAD drafter for detailing, then I suggest exporting the drawing sheets to individual DWG's, placing the graphics in model space and let your detailer re-assemble them however you plan to use them.