2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2014 1:18 PM by Jennifer Vinson

Help! Organizing Files

Jennifer Vinson

Okay, here is my question. I am in a situation where a company is converting from AutoCad 2d files to Solidworks 2014. The issue I am having is I'm walking into a huge mess where some one has begun to convert/redraw and build assemblies in solidworks. There are parts saved all over the place. Duplicates because there are parts used on multipul different Assemblies. as of now we don't have PDM, but I know with Solidworks explorere this can make my task of organizing a little easier. we have one seat of Solidworks but two users. Anyone have any suggestions on how to start this process.

I was thinking of putting all part files along with their drawings in one folder but this will be huge. Now all hydrolic, pnumatic, plumbing and hardware are all seperated out from the actual fabricated parts. But I have 3 different machines that may use the same SubAssembly on all three. And I may have a part that is used in several Subassemblies. Plus on top of all this, I am new to the company and familiarizing myself with there products.

I know all this will take time and I have an idea of how I want to do things but wanted to get maybe other pointers and ideas on organizing a mess.

• Re: Help! Organizing Files
          Jody Stiles

Hi Jennifer,

Speaking as a former user (not as a SOLIDWORKS employee) with companies with which I have worked that didn't have a PDM in place, we created a tree structure based on the file naming conventions.  In both places, the files were named according to their part numbers so they could be logically sorted.  Using SOLIDWORKS Explorer, you can use the Move command to move the files from their current locations into their respective folders and update the Where used at the same time.  This will be a laborious task depending on how many files you need to move but it should update all of the references and create a structure at the same time.  You should probably find all of the duplicate files, where they are used, edit the references for each drawing or assembly and point it to a single version of the part, and then move (not delete, yet) the duplicates to a location that is not in your search paths.  You should then open each assembly and drawing that you re-referenced and verify that they are pointing to the desired files and that all references are updated, fixing those that have broken.

If the files aren't named in a logical manner, things become much more difficult, especially if you have multiple files with the same name e.g. Plate.sldprt.  you will have to do a piece-wise comparison to see which files you want to keep and determine some sort of tree structure for sorting them, maybe by project or machine.

If your company is able to upgrade to SOLIDWORKS Professional, you get WPDM (it's pretty easy to setup and use and is meant for smaller groups of users) included and that will help a lot going forward.

Hope this helps you some,

Jody