4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 3:26 AM by Andrea Frezza

Dimensioning of a drawing

Andrea Frezza

Hi everyone,

i have put a 3D model in a draft a i have to dimension it. In the model there are some ellipses; i can't dimension them unless i sketch points or lines to create the semiaxis or i export measures from the 3D model. In this way, however, some dimensions are gray other are black. What can i do?

Thank you all

• Re: Dimensioning of a drawing
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Andrea,

If I'm not mistaken, model dimensions are black and dimensions inserted are gray by default, but those settings can be changed at Tools > Options.  You can also over-ride the settings by selecting dimensions and changing their color with the Line Format toolbar.  I'm at home now and don't have SW here to give you more detailed information, but hopefully this will help.  If not, maybe someone else will answer with more specific suggestions.

Andrea Frezza

Thank you Glenn; we've solved the problem with the line colours. Going on  dimensioning i've found a new little problem. As in the screenshot below i've two elliptical bows that i can't dimension; i've added R34 and R35 manually as a note. How can i recreate the style of a standard dimension?

Thank you very much

Jerry Steiger

Andrea,

If they are truly ellipses, then you can't use radius dimensions on them, as the radius is constantly changing. The best you can do is dimension the major and minor axes. As I recall, you have to add sketch points or construction lines and dimension to the points or the ends of the lines, although I could certainly be wrong about that. The points or lines could be added to the original sketch feature. Show the sketch temporarily, dimension to it, and then hide it.

Jerry S.

Andrea Frezza

Thank you Jerry. We've done as you said about the points and line sketch. If i add a dimension manually by an arrow and a note how can i make it similar to a standard dimension (the dimension of a radius is parallel to the tail of the arrow while our dimension is not located as a standard one) ?

Thank you all.