9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2014 8:28 AM by Jonathan Larson

Orthographic view labels

Jonathan Larson

It is standard practice where I work to label all standard orthographic views e.g. Front, Right, Top, etc. Is there are way to get these types of labels inserted automatically? We just upgraded to Solidworks 2014 SP3.0 and I see there are more options with regards to view labels, but none of them seem to do what I want. All I want is a Text Annotation that's linked to the orientation of the drawing view. I know these labels are in there somewhere, because when I hover over the front view icon, the word "Front" appears. Thoughts?

• Re: Orthographic view labels
          Brian Morris

Yes, you can do this. You need to create a drawing template with predefined views in it. You can then change the name of views in the tree (front, top, right, iso, etc.) then insert a note attached to each view and link the note property SW-ViewName. Save this as a drawing template and when you create adrawing using this template it will automatically populate the views and the notes with the view names.

Jonathan Larson

Thanks, Brian! Your method would work only for the first sheet of the drawing. We typically use multiple sheets in our drawings. What we do is copy-paste an existing drawing sheet, delete all of the views and then add new views of a different model. We do this because that's the only way to get the revision table to copy over to the new sheet. I guess we could transition to adding a new revision table to each new sheet, but that still won't get the view labels in as you described unless we copy and pasted the first sheet with the predefined views before inserting the first model.

What I'd really like is for the label to be added to each new view whether I'm starting a new drawing or not. What if I decide that for one particular part I want to add a left view? It would save me a lot of time in the long run if "LEFT" was added as a caption to that new view.

Do you see what I'm saying, Brian?

Brian Morris

Yep, that won't work for multiple drawing sheets. You could adding annotations of the view names in the model and then import them when you add the views to the sheet. I think front/back, top/bottom, and left/right might duplicate the annotation but a quick delete would get rid of the unneeded annotation.

Matthew Lorono

SW2014 allows you to set labels for all view types.  For orthographic views, you can use the view name as displayed in the drawing tree.

Jonathan Larson

I was aware of that functionality in SW 2014, but that still doesn't automate the process as much as I'd like because I would still have to go through the drawing tree and manually type in the name of each view.

Is there no $PRP parameter that links to the name of the current view? The names are there in the part/assembly file. For example, when you open the orientation tool and hover over the standard views, it says "Front", "Right" etc. It seems like it would fairly simple to make those names accessible in a drawing.

Matthew Lorono

John,

Drawing views on a drawing are a representation of what is found in the model.  It is very easy to change the orientation of a drawing view.  It is very easy to relabel things differenting in the model after drawings are created, and to change model orietnation.  There are lots of ways to break the function of parametrically showing an orientation within the view label.  All of these would have to be taken into account if/when we explored your request to further enhancement view labels.

A ton of work has gone into fxing/enhancing view labels for the SW2014 release.  From your comments here, there appears to be further work necessary to meet your request.  I've taken a note of this.  To allow us to better track your request, may I also ask that you file this request via the Enhancement Request area within your Customer Portal.  If a similar request already exists, you can simply vote for it.  Either way, having an Enhancement Request filed will allow others to vote for it too.  More votes help us determine overall desire for particular functionality.

To end on a positive note, what did you like most regarding the improvements to label views in SW2014?

Jonathan Larson

Matthew,

I'm sorry for belittling your efforts to continuously improve Solidworks by implying that my suggestion would be a "simple" fix. I recognize that Solidworks is a monolithic piece of software and I couldn't even begin to understand how one would link the name of a view orientation with a parametric annotation in a corresponding drawing view. I'm sure it's a case of easier-said-than-done.

I appreciate your reply. It's good to know that it's on your radar. I will look into submitting the Enhancement Request.

In response to your question, I haven't used the view labels in SW2014 ever since I discovered that I couldn't parametrically link them to the orientation name.

Bill Stadler

Matthew Lorono wrote:

John,

If a similar request already exists, you can simply vote for it.  Either way, having an Enhancement Request filed will allow others to vote for it too.  More votes help us determine overall desire for particular functionality.

HI Matthew,

In my opinion voting is not simple.  The issue I have with it is I only see the title of the EH and not the full body.  Many EH's titles do not have enough information to know what it is representing.  The other thing that would be nice is to be able to see others comments when they vote so we can add our vote respectively.

Did not mean to hijack this thread but I do not know where else to bring this up.  I tried creating an EH in the past and I was informed that EHs were to only apply to the product not the site.

Thanks,  Bill

Jonathan Larson

Submitted under ER #1-6195037282. I didn't see an ER that looked like exactly what I need. I agree with Bill Stadler that the ER site could be easier to navigate.