7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2014 12:17 AM by Jared Conway

problems of lids

Bernard Didier

hello everybody,

i have a problem with the definition of my lids. indeed, sometimes it selects just the hole, and sometime all the wall :

aaa.bmp

the 1st picture is my problem. however, this is the same configuration : extrusion of 10 mm and removal of material 20 mm, the hole dont exceed through the material..

can you help me please?

thx

• Re: problems of lids
          Travis Storm

Is this what you see when you select the face containing the holes, but before building the lids?

If you can't get the lid tool to work, I'd suggest inserting a fill surface (insert -- surface -- fill). Select the edges surrounding your hole and build the surface. Then select the surface and thicken it (insert - boss/base -- thicken). Now you can use the fill the same as a lid.

Jared Conway

i don't know what you're trying to outline in your pictures

it sounds like you're having a selection issue?

if it isn't a selection issue, and you're having trouble creating lids automatically, create them manually

and if you're still having trouble, check your geometry: http://www.hawkridgesys.com/blog/flow-simulation-4-starting-flow-simulation-analysis/

Bernard Didier

thanks for answers!

i follow your instructions : my problem with the definitions of lids is solved, but now i have a problem with the simulation (face is not laying beetween..)

i've joined my room in the message

Jared Conway

This means that flow cannot find the flow region.

Did you check that article I posted?

Bernard Didier

yes i checked your site

when i use in flow simulation -> tools -> check geometry ;  the volume fluid is 0 m3 , and i don't find why .. because i've already done a previous experiment with a previous room (its lids are in the wall) and i compare the 2 simulations, so i don't understand why it doesn't work

i think thats because this is not a piece but a entirely room with lids in the room

thanks

Jared Conway

0 fluid volume means that you have a leak

the technique we teach in our mentoring is to start with just the outside housing and any lids on it. make sure you rae able to generate a fluid volume. if you can't, then you need to fix things there.

use interference detection with treat coincidence as interference to make sure parts are touching and that your assembly is sealed

then add the next part and continue until you run into an issue

general causes are either things aren't lined up face to face, invalid contacts, components that don't rebuild or imported bodies

Jared Conway

did a quick look at your model and would suggest that to do the tests that we recommend that you save your multibody part as an assembly so that you can manage the suppression of the different bodies to do the test that i suggest above. if you want to keep it as multi body you have to use the "include bodies" option in interference detection and drop your part in an assembly to do the test.

i didn't go much deeper because the model was pretty complex and you probably know it better than anyone else to do the check that i suggest.