7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2014 5:43 PM by Jared Conway

Spring Force in a Drop Test

Michael Cattafe

I have a drop test where I'm essentially dropping an assembly of a spring loaded latch, it uses a compression coil spring. Is there anyway to accurately model the force of the spring acting on the latch during the drop?

Thanks!

• Re: Spring Force in a Drop Test
          Shaun Densberger

Possible, but I'm having issues visualizing your system; can you post a diagram?

Jared Conway

is a spring connector supported in drop test? if so, you could use it

other wise you're talking nonlinear dynamic

or motion would work if you don't care as much abotu the deformation of parts but rather how the spring behaves in the system

Michael Cattafe

Spring elements are not supported in drop. I care about the force that ends up acting on the spring by the other parts in the assembly that are in contact with it during the drop. See the picture for more details. How can I model the drop in Motion? I haven't used Motion before?

Thanks

2014_06_19_08_40_18_SolidWorks_Premium_2014_x64_Edition_Assem2.SLDASM_.png

Jerry Steiger

Michael,

Drop is not simulated in Motion, but in Simulation.

If you are talking about a normal coil spring, then the ideal, but probably unrealistic, way to model it would be to actually model the coil. I say it is probably unrealistic because it would probably require a lot of elements to get a realistic response and the contacts are going to be very tricky. An easier approach would be to approximate the spring by using a solid or annular cylinder. Fake the material properties so that the cylinder has the same mass and stiffness as the calculated spring behavior of your real spring. This should work reasonable well, with a more reasonable number of elements and much easier contacts, although it won't capture the non-linearities at the beginning and end of the spring stroke. Those may not be that critical anyway. If the spring bottoms out before your latch does, then you may have to come up with some way to simulate how the spring becomes extremely stiff as it completely closes, say a very stiff cylinder that is the closed length of the spring..

Jerry S.

Jared Conway

this would require nonlinear dynamic and would be painfully slow to solve

if evertthing could be treated as rigid except for the spring, the spring could be replaced and dropped in motion

the output would be the displacement of the spring

which would mean with the spring stiffness, what force the spring has exerted on it

Michael Cattafe

Jared,

The simulation seems to work alright in "Basic Motion" but I need information on force from the "advanced mode". The advanced mode seems to break down, parts go through each other and the spring does not seem to respond. Do you have any thoughts? The simulation is attached.

Thanks,

Jared Conway

basic motion uses a completely different solver than motion simulation

you need to pay a bit more attention to your mates and setting up appropriate conditions

looks like to me this model needs to be modeled with better use of subassemblies to reduce the mates at the top level

parts that move together should be in the same subassy for example

from there the assy should be drag able, if not, motion won't work

i'd suggest starting with tutorials and some really simple models to get the hang of motion and then move to your model. it is simple but not that simple.