5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 12:06 PM by Bernie Daraz

Patent drawings export

Joe Clark

Does SW have the ability to export clean lines of an imported iges, stl, etc. into a jpg or something like illustrator to do patent drawings?

• Re: Patent drawings export
          Bernie Daraz

Joe,

I have a drawing template set up to produce patent drawings from the parts, models or imported models. Why would you want to go to Illustrator? or are you being supplied the .AI files to make the patent drawings?

Eric Irwin

Can you share the template?  Or share the settings you use?

Bernie Daraz

Eric,

I would think so but since I use custom properties you would also have to use my part and assembly templates too. Basically I have the application name and applicant entered into the assembly file then I just use that drawing template as the drawing file. I can still make a regular drawing sheet too. I use assemblies to make all my drawings, that way I don't have issue later on adding parts if I end up converting something to a sub-assembly.

I might be easier (as well as a great learning experience) to create the drawing format for yourself.

Eric Irwin

Bernie,

I understand how to create a drawing template.  What I am wondering is what you have done to your settings to make a file from SW suitable for a patent application.  I guess I have assumed that you are in the U.S., but in the U.S. there are very specific "rules" for how the drawings should look.  The usual output from any CAD program does not meet those "rules".

Bernie Daraz

Eric,

Yes, I'm US based.

The patent office accepts files from SolidWorks and virtually any other application, the representations cannot be ambiguous. Gone are the variety of line weights replaced by clearly denoting objcts and their connections and relations as was past practice. The margins have been retained however. I use balloons and item numbers as well when connecing those to the application. No real balloons though.

Look at some recent applications using Google patents or even uspto.gov.

I wish I had one file in particular to show here, it will give you an example of accepted files. I was amazed. I'll try to place it here later.