5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2014 9:56 AM by Brian McEwen

How to search EPDM for both Parts and Assemblies but not Drawings?

Terry Raymond

How to search EPDM for both Parts and Assemblies but not Drawings?

I can set the filename field to "*.sld???" but this also brings up drawings and some other solidworks extensions.  Anyone have a trick to just get both *.sldprt and *.sldasm to show?

Thanks!

• Re: How to search EPDM for both Parts and Assemblies but not Drawings?
          Tim Webb

Yeah Terry

Try *.sldprt *.sldasm separated by a space

Brian McEwen

Yeah, you don't even need the asterisk.  EPDM defaults to an OR search, and unlike Windows searches it find hits embedded in other strings.

*********excerpt from my Advanced Search Guide**************************************

<Word etc> will be used to indicate search terms (type what is inside the brackets). I’ll use <word> to  represent a single string with no spaces or search operators. An asterisk (*) wildcard is one example of a search operator.  For the purpose of this document (and for Windows and Gmail searches) words in all caps are operators, especially: NOT, AND, OR.

Example 1, Single Word search: <dog>

Windows -- <dog> will be treated as if you searched <dog*> (i.e. Starting with “dog”). It will not find buried words like “bigdog” (unless you enter <*dog> or <~=dog>), but it will find “dogfight”, or “brown dog.xls”.

EPDM -- <dog> will be treated as if you searched <*dog*> (i.e. Containing “dog”), so it will find buried words. If you place any wildcards in an EPDM search field then the defaults turn off and you have to type wildcards exactly where you want them.

The respective defaults carry over to searching multiple-words.

Caveat for EPDM – advanced search syntax does not work for all search fields. It works fully with standard single variable searches.

With multi-variable Text in History (TEXT) search the * wildcard will work but other search operators won’t. TEXT also treats multiple words differently (there is no OR, it finds exactly what you type, even if buried). When searching States, Users, and other intrinsic database info the search operators also don’t work (if it has a static drop down list, operators don’t work

Example 2, How do you find multiple words? Results containing both word1 AND word2:

Windows -- <probe plate>, <probe AND plate>, or <probe+plate> are all equivalent = containing “plate” AND “probe” in any order.

EPDM -- <*probe*plate* *plate*probe*> = containing “plate” AND “probe” in any order.  Tip: Instead of this it is easier to use two fields: TEXT = <plate>, Description or Filename = <probe>.

Example 4, What happens when you search two words with a space? <plate 3bx>

EPDM – default finds anything containing “plate” OR containing “3bx”.

… except in the TEXT field, there it will find only files containing “plate 3Bx” (in any single variable, from the many places it can search).  This is good for searching for specific bolt sizes, if you know the exact syntax, e.g. <m3 x 14>.  There is no OR search for the TEXT field.

Windows -- by default finds: “plate” AND “3bx”, but in any order. Would need to type <plate OR 3bx> to get results containing either. Search <*plate OR *3bx> to find them even if buried.

I'm still working on the guide, does it seem useful?

Iftach Priel

Terry,

Surprisingly there isn't a more simple way than actually typing the whole file extension.

However, you can try and make life easier for your users:

1. Make a version free variable called "file type" or "file extension".

2. Create a dispatch that extracts the file extension and copies it to the new "file type" variable. (let me know if you need help doing that).

3. Run the dispatch when a file is added to the vault, or whenever a file is checked in.

4. On your search card, add a radio buttons that look up the file type variable.

This way you can easily create "short-cuts" that enable your users to search for specific file types with a click of a button. Because we have many different file types in our system, I use this method also to limit search results to SolidWorks files only (radio button caption = sld).

Hope this helps...