5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 1:07 PM by Deepak Gupta

.pdf automatic update?

Carl Dahm

I am currently on a project and awaiting approval. I am 90% sure that the project will be approved with only minor (if any changes). I out-source the machining of shafts to a shop that accepts their prints in .pdf format. If the shafts change, is there a way I can have the .pdfs automatically update without actually re-visiting and re-saving my drawing?

• Re: .pdf automatic update?
          Jeff Holliday

I would feel uncomfortable sending out any document that is not saved somewhere for future reference. I am pretty sure that if you make a change to a drawing and then save it as a pdf that SW will save the file first before creating the pdf. I suppose you could use a screen-capture utility with pdf-saving capability to bypass it.

• Re: .pdf automatic update?
              Carl Dahm

I am not sure I explained this well enough. I am making the drawing of the parts while the assembly is bing approved. I will save the solidworks drawing in both solidworks and .pdf formats. If the approval drawing comes back with some changes and I update my model; I know the drawings saved in the solidworks format will change, but is there a way to have the .pdf update with my model as well.

This question also goes for .dxf/.dwg files because our waterjet/ laser people use those formats