6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 10:41 AM by Christopher Estelow

BOM and McMaster-Carr

Nick Pospisil

So my assignment this week is to reassemble one of our old skimmers in SolidWorks using one of our old drawings from 2002. Problem is that our BOM in the drawing makes little to no sense! I'm looking at the McMaster-Carr website so I could potentially find some of the parts which are included in the inner workings of our skimmer. If it calls for a woodruff key, what does woodruff key #11 mean? How do you measure an o-ring when all you're given is 01-244 in part number. None of parts are dimensioned either. Does anyone know where I could start because no one in the office knows how to help either. Thanks!

• Re: BOM and McMaster-Carr
          Paul Marsman

I did a google search for #11 key and this page seems to work

#11 key: https://www.imperialsupplies.com/item/0711120

other size keys: https://www.imperialsupplies.com/grp097.shtml

as for the 01-244 o-ring, sounds like a suppliers number, but that's just a stab in the dark.

Christopher Estelow

Nick,

Try checking in the properties of each model to see if there is any more information.

If there is nothing helpful there then maybe below will help a little bit.....

The #11 woodruff key is 3/16" x 7/8" on McMaster's website,  Here are the part numbers for the different materials:

98481A140 - Steel

98525A140 - Alloy Steel

97940A140 - 316 Stainless steel.

The one thing about o-rings is the AS568 oring dash numbers sizes usually find their way into the part numbers of other company's part numbers.  I would say that the 01 is the material code and the -244 is the size code.  Depending on the application you would have to choose a material that works. Just search on McMaster for AS568 and you should see it pop up.  I would say that 90% of the the time Buna-N would be a good material to use since it is oil and fuel resistant and can handle a good amount of heat.

Hope this helps!!!

Chris

Joe Kuzich

If a search on the info in your bom falls short, you can also check with your purchasing department.  Sometimes they can look back and find out where they got it and exactly what it was.  With that info you can usually then find the tech data from the manufacture.

Also, I would try to get a physical part you can disassemble and measure as you go.  The O-ring for instance stretches and changes shape as you use it.  For building your model I would think you would want the 'in use' shape not the part size necessarily.  Though this is a area we are wishy washy on.  We use a lot of gaskets and go back and fourth if it makes sense to show the compressed gasket or leave it uncompressed and measurable but overlapping.

Also sometimes parts have their model # right on them and will save you some of the searching. 

Plus its just fun to take things apart. 

Christopher Estelow

Measure the model for the o-ring and see if it is close to the numbers below.  If so then it is a size -244 o-ring.

Capture.JPG

Chris

Anna Wood

I am assuming your company still assembles this skimmer?  Can you go to the assembly shop and ask them for samples of the parts they are using.  They may have a box of purchased components complete with part number or something to measure.  Or your purchasing people, where and what part numbers do they buy for the skimmers?

What document type are you working from?  Paper, old AutoCad files?

Cheers,

Anna