9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 3:52 PM by Bernie Daraz

Bill of Materials help

Ray Van

Okay, so I have ben taking over a project on solidworks for about a mounth and it is coming close to that time that I need to make a BOM.  I have never mde one of these before so i have a couple of questions.  The first picture is what i selected as my BOM and then the second one is how it shows up.

1)How can I make BOM fit on a sheet?

2)If i have drawings for everthing that BOM has how do I insert it into this new drawing?

3)Am i correct on the selection i made for the first picture?

Any help at all would be great, I am new to Bill of materials and need to know how it works.

Thanks!

• Re: Bill of Materials help
          Ray Van

Sorry about the pictures I just relized since I have two screens it did that.  If you need me to redo it i can but i think it shows the general concept.

Jeff Mirisola

Check out the Bill of Materials info in the Help section. Lesson 3 in the tutorials covers basic drawings and there's also an advanced drawing tutorial, both of which will help.

Jamil Snead

1) There are a couple things you can do to make the table fit. If you make the rows wider so that all of the information in each cell can fit on one line, then the whole table can get shorter. If you need to shorten all of the rows at once you can right click on the plus sign at the top left of the table and select Formatting > Row Height, and then set a value that will apply to all rows. The other thing you can do is break the table up into 2 sections and locate them side-by-side. To do this right click on a row number and select Split > Horizontally above or below. This will break it into 2 tables. If it still doesn't fit because of the assembly view you might need to put the BOM on a separate sheet.

2) I don't quite understand the question, are you saying you want every part drawing as a sheet in this assembly drawing? I don't recommend this I would keep them separate. If you did want it that way I am not sure how to do it, maybe someone else can help.

3) All of your settings when you created the BOM look good to me.

One thing I notice is that the part numbers and descriptions do not seem to reflect what you probably want shown on the drawing. Does your company use custom properties for part number and description? If so you can change what is displayed in each column to show the custom properties.  Click on the column letter at the top and then in the toolbar that appears click the hand pointing to a piece of paper. Then in the drop down menu for column type select "CUSTOM PROPERTY" and below that you can pick the appropriate property to display.

I hope this helps.

Ray Van

Thank you very much for the info.  Yes i have around 70 parts so I am still trying to get it to fit (TWSS). And yes my boss wanted me to have every single drawing of the parts in the same file as the BOM.  This is the first time I have done this and it is a huge conveyor so it is going slow.  And yes i figured out the custom colums and such.

Jamil Snead

I found this in another thread:

You can drag the sheet tab from an existing drawing into another drawing and that sheet will be inserted into the drawing.  There is a pop up dialog that asks you where to put it similar to merging in Acrobat (before, after, or end)

Jerry Steiger

Ray,

I suspect you will run into problems as you add more and more sheets to the drawing. From what I have read in the forums, SolidWorks doesn't handle large numbers of sheets well. I don't know what "large" means. My own experience stops at 4 sheets or less, where I didn't notice any issues.

Jerry S.

Bernie Daraz

I suspect you will have better luck if you use sub-assemblies where possible. At the very least on the top level sheet you show here. (I believe it is the top level sheet anyway.)