25 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2017 11:24 AM by Scott Baugh

Title Block Issues

Simon Burt

I am Trying to update an element on a title block, but when edited the element above dissapears and looses its link to the relevant property.

The Link I can re-establish, but the text does not show when I go back to edit the sheet or to print.

• Re: Title Block Issues
          JOHN GEORGE

Simon,

Can you post some pictures or screen shots showing the problem area?

Meantime, welcome to the forum

Simon Burt

<<I have been trying to find the one that was doing it earlier today and the other from a couple days ago, but it seems that sod's law is at work so it may be a little while till I get some photos.>>

Correction,

File has been found and images attached to comment below

Scott Baugh

You can RMB the item and select "Edit Text in Window". If the link is still there, it will show up there. I have seen it disappear when you go back to "Edit Sheet" (which is intended), or maybe you have on it a layer?

Here is an example of "edit in a text window"

Edit text.jpg

Regards,

Scott

Simon Burt

Here is the story, using a sheet that isn't perfect for the example;

text in the 'finish' box is too large so I go in to edit, have to 'explode block' to be able to move the text to an advantageous position

Problems.PNG

I am left with a line when all the links seem to be broken.

Problems.2.PNG

I manage to re-link the box to the status from properties;

Problems.4.PNG

It does actually turn up. but then when I go to edit the sheet again, its gone...

Problems.5.PNG

Any Ideas? this is happening to all mine but Colleagues cant work it out.

Scott Baugh

I agree with Deepak... I bet it has to do with a property in Custom Properties of the drawing, because your using $PRP. That is a link to the Drawing sheet Custom Properties which is means its not pulling that info from the part or an assembly.

I know you said its not perfect, but my concern is that your title block was an actual block that you had to explode?

Simon Burt

The Custom properties is all filled in, as this is the first thing i do. these details are rather vital on the shopfloor.

so in that regard I am not sure if something is set up wrong or not.

I take it from that quaestion that title blocks should not be an actual Block?

on a slight tangent, is it normal for text to reformat its self while doing htis sort of edit?

Scott Baugh

So is the property supposed to be pulled from the part\assembly or is it a Drawing specific property?

I guess if you want a block you can have it a block, but I don't see a reason for doing that. Seems like more trouble to me.

Here is a link to a our template... I removed all the pertinent info. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69277713/Example.zip - Let me know if you are unable to download it.

Text should not reformat itself when edited.... if you mean like in size, font spacing, etc...

Simon Burt

The properties being pulled in are specific to the drawing, they are top level assemblies with the parts being shared across a number of assemblies.

I could download the files but I am still running 2013 at the moment so they won't open :/

I am trying my hand at re-formatting without the blocks to see if that will repair the problem.

it certainly seems to be helping.

But I will have to continue on that experiment tomorrow.

Scott Baugh

But if the property you describe above is using a Drawing specific property, it won't matter what is in the drawing. So that means you need to make it watch the Custom properties when you make changes, because the problem has to be there... However if you have some sort of PDM or EPDM system in place, its possible the property is getting over written from the PLM system.

Sounds like there is a 3rd party at work here.

As for the template this is what I was trying to show you:

Title block.jpg

Regards,

Deepak Gupta

Make sure you have the custom property value filled (in case it is linked to drawing properties) or have a view of part/assembly having the property you have linked in order to display the text when you're done with editing the sheet format.