2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 3:06 PM by Justin Strempke

Beam joint hinge oddity

Justin Strempke

Another beam question - I've used rigid connections mostly up to this point, and recently began using non-moment transferring joints for structural studies.  I have an issue when I set a beam definition to 'Hinge' in directions 1 & 2, that the connecting element seems to become overly flimsy.  I've attached a pic of a structure base, where the right-hand two seems to look okay but the left-hand two show the cross-supports not staying connected reasonably.  This is x1 deformation scale, and the beams are A36.  I cannot trust the stress plots if the displacements are this outragious.

beam base 1.JPG

I've checked KB, found this from a somewhat recent release, wondering if it reverted somehow:

SPR #:

Product:

SolidWorks Simulation

Implemented

Fixed in:

2012 SP04

Area:

Analysis

Sub-Area:

CW Weldment Solver

Customer Impact:

Critical

Enhancement:

No

Summary:

Wrong results when hinge is used in the definition of beam joints whether black rigid bars are present (beam ends are not coincident) or not

• Re: Beam joint hinge oddity
          Jared Conway

i don't really understand your description of the setup or what you're expecting

could you detail out what beam joints are connected together and how they are all defined

what do the results look like if they are all rigid

have you already setup a really simple example like a cantilever to check that it isn't just this application that is affected?

• Re: Beam joint hinge oddity
              Justin Strempke

I expect the beams of each joint to remain in contact about the joint.  This example is a 4-post tower structure, shown above are the four base fixtures (with translation only as the BC's).

The vertical beams have Rigid end definitions, while all other have Dir 1 & 2 hinge on both ends.  I'd expect allowance for the beam to rotate about the joint without a moment restraint.

When they're rigid all is fine and well.

Cantilever test does not show anything out of the norm, but it only occurs in certain areas of this model as well.  Cantilever does show odd stress when ends are fixed (trans and rot) and beam is hinge - last element is 0 stress but deformation is the same as when it's rigid end condition.