5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2014 4:51 PM by Jared Conway

Invalid Geometry in the file created from saving deformed simulation results

John Laughlin

Hello SolidWorks Community!

So I am attempting to save the deformed results of a simulation, in which I'm denting a steel 8in pipe segment for further simulations. I have been following the very helpful instructions from the following web page:

http://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2011/05/using-deformed-fea-model/

The result successfully saves as a new file, but the deformed body is significantly different than the original simulation body and has invalid geometry (the denting body overlaps into the pipe wall).

The webpage lists a few possible solutions:

For the last 2 outcomes, you will need to go back to the model, and simplify the bodies if possible (get rid of unwanted tiny features and details).  Also check if finer mesh is utilized on important details, and where it will deform the most in the model.

The bodies are as simple as I can make them, and the mesh, I believe, is as fine as I can make it. Any tips on how I can get a better saved deformed body?

Thanks a Bundle!

Here are some screenshots of my issue:

8Inch Dented Pipe.png

Invalid Geometry.jpg

• Re: Invalid Geometry in the file created from saving deformed simulation results
          Jared Conway

version/service pack?

have you already checked a very simple part like a cantilever beam to make sure it works the way you expect?

instead of the denter part, have you tried a force just to see if ti is the contact that is causing the issue?

i also assume there are no errors when you run the analysis and you aren't using soft springs or any other features to get the analysis to run

• Re: Invalid Geometry in the file created from saving deformed simulation results
              John Laughlin

Oh my! 1st, thanks for such a quick response!

I am using SW 2013 Premium. The analysis ran fine, and you are correct in your assumptions.

I tried doing a simple cantilever beam test, and while the saved deformed body does have a similar bend as the simulation result, the bend is only slight.

That being said, it seems as though the deformation is exagerated in the color-coded result (note: I could totally be wrong). I came to this conclusion because the red color (at the end of the cantilever) corresponded to a 10mm displacement, and when I did a quick measurement of the saved deformed body, the 10mm displacement was accurate.

Knowing this, it is still strange to me that the saved deformed body from the dented pipe trial is so different, when I had specified the displacement.

I suppose I could replace the denter with a force, but would need some time to figure out how to do that (note: I'm quite the novice SW simulation user )

Jared Conway

denter replaced with a force, just pick any number for now, just suggesting ways to isolate where the problem is coming from

the software is working because your test case works

so now you look at the difference between your test case and your problem, we see that its the contact from the denter. so either go with a force in your model, or put a denter in you beam example

the only thing somewhat "expected" is that your denter isn't in the deformed location. i think we only export the deformations, so since the denter doesn't deform it just moves, it looks wrong but i think may in fact be right