7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2017 9:02 AM by Chloe Xiao

Helical spring design

Rahul Yadav

Dear All,

I want to make Closedand squared ground helical compression spring. Can anyone suggest me procedure how to make it in solidwork 2012??

I request you all to reply me as soon as possible because it is very urgent.

Thanks

• Re: Helical spring design
          Kelef Man

hei'ya Rahul, welcome to the forum,

see att-prt, to get you started,

helical-spring.jpg

hope this helps- have a good'n kelef

Rahul Yadav

Dear Kelef,

This is not my need. I want detail procedure how to design closed and ground end helical spring, if you know then help me but please don't reply with a spring snapshot. This snapshot cann't help anyone.

Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SOLIDWORKS forums Rahul.

Please be generous and check the attachment Kelef has shared before making any comments. He has added the snapshot to give you the quick glimpse of the file he has made.If that is not what you need then please add more details like size, pictures, links, etc.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference.

J. Mather

Maybe this snapshot will help someone.

Help Snapshot.PNG

If  you click on the link to download the zip file.

Right click on the file and select Extract All

Then open the sldprt file

- you should be able to reverse engineer how the part was made from the feature tree.

Joseph Sensenig

Rahul,

For myself, still being fairly new to SW, I find that springs are rather complex geometries for beginners to design.  I have attached a spring generating macro that SW will run. It is a great timesaver. You can create compression, extension, spiral, and torsion springs, all using the same macro. Also, you can select different end types, as well as various shapes for the section profile.

(1) Download the attached file, and save it to your computer.

(2) Sketch a circle in a new part document to represent the diameter of your spring.

(3) Go to Tools- near the bottom of the list, click Macro, then select Run.

(4) Browse to your storage location of the file, select it, and open.

(5) The macro dialogue box will populate your feature manager, and you can fill in your options, just like a standard SW feature.

Hope this is helpful.

Kelef Man

hei'ya Rahul, sorry I've apparantley have misunderstood,

"anyone suggest me procedure how to make it in solidwork 2012??",

let's see if we can get you on with the project more positively-

you wish to "design" a closed end helical compression spring- ok

my pointers would be-starting with

Spring Materials

The selection of material is usually the first step in design.

Material can be based on tensile strength, temperatures,

elastic modulii, fatigue boundaries, corrosion, and not least of all-cost,

other factors than these will also need to be adhered to as in the design brief stipulations

samples may be:-HCSS - High-carbon spring steels as (ASTM A228),(ASTM A227)

High Tensile Hard Drawn (ASTM A679),Oil Tempered (ASTM A229),

Carbon Valve (ASTM A230)

your design brief may stipulate:-

Geometry - Length, Wire Diameter, Coil Diameter, Mass - you have none given

Material Data - Elastic Modulie, Poisson's Ratio, Density - you have none given

End Treatment - Closed and Ground- but no conditions thereof

required considerations for modeling/designing:-

primary spring geometric design parameters would be-

Free Length (Lo) - The length of uncompressed spring.

Wire Diameter (d) - The diameter of the wire

Coil Diameter (D) - The mean diameter of the helix, i.e., (D outer + D inner)/2.

Total Coils (Nt)- The number of coils or turns in your spring.

Active Coils (Na) - The number of coils that are live and compress

Solid Length (Ls) - The minimum length at full duress of the coils.

Pitch (p) - The distance from center to center of one revolution of live coil

Pitch Angle (a) - Angle between coils and base.

The angle would be calculated thru: a=arctan(p/(pi*D))

Geometric Notations and calculation-

Live Coils, =Na i.e. = Nt-2

Free Length, =Lo i.e.= Nap+2d

Solid Length, =Ls i.e.= (Na+2)d

Pitch, =p i.e.= (Lo-2d)/Na

(as in the att.prt I assumed one inactive coil at each end of the spring)

Outer Diameter (Do) -  Do=D+d - The outer diameter of the spring

Inner Diameter (Di) - Di=D-d - The inner diameter of the spring

Spring Index (C) - C=D/d - The ratio of mean coil diameter to wire diameter

beyond these there are  also e.g.:-

Wire Length (Lw) - The length needed for the spring. Lw=(pi*D)*((Na/cos(a))+Ni*a)

Spring Mass (M)

Natural Frequency (fn)

Maximum Load (Pmax) - full compression

Maximum Deflection (dmax) - to reach full compression

Spring Rate (k)- unit deflection

Slenderness Ratio (Lo / D)

Shear Modulus (G)

Uncorrected Maximum Shear Stress (tmax)

Corrected Maximum Shear Stress (tmax')

but I'm rambling now-

these will all, and more be required to define a final design,

that will have to adhere to the letter of the design brief-

I unfortunately have no experience in designing any type of springs

but please see the att.prt as a representation

varispring.jpg

you can change the global variables in the Equations folder

and hopefully this will be of some use to you

my apologies once again for misunderstanding you-   kelef