10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2014 10:24 PM by John Burrill

dealing with parts built in assembly

Jordan Gibson

Hi there, Im running into quite a few snags and I'm not sure what to do

I work with another designer/engineer who edits parts within assemblys, does all the holes using linear patterns etc, which saves a lot of time for him. However whenever I recieve his pack n go's files seem to be missing, or things dangle, or break, or move and are not lined up properly. Why is this? Sometimes I save 2 zip files, and label one as "back up" incase one shifts around on me, so then I pull the parts or measurements i've taken out and use the back up (which I then make a new fresh copy called "new back up" or "new-er-er backup". How can I avoid these problems when I recieve pack and go's? quite a few questions in there, I will leave it at that.,

Thanks!
      Jordan.

• Re: dealing with parts built in assembly
          Jeff Holliday

It sounds as though the other designer may have been creating working or temporary files when doing the editing. These files may not be "traveling" with the files sent to you. Whatever the reason, I would suggest a meeting between you both to determine which method is going to be used to achieve the shortest time to complete the project whether that means he edits/models differently or you spend extra time on your end.

Jordan Gibson

Unfortuantely since I have been doing it for much less time, any input I give is shot down quit quickly. I was just curious if there is anything I can do, to help prevent these errors. As soon as I open the assem file, I get rebuild errors/locating file errors. Is this common when building parts within an assembly vs building parts outside then importing?

Jerry Steiger

Jordan,

It sounds like you need to walk through the process with the originating designer. Ask him to sit with you while you open up one of his pack and go files for the first time. If it doesn't have any problems (SolidWorks seems to get intimidated when you have a couple of people watching it in action) you've got a clean set of files to work on. Ask him to sit with you when you open up another set of his files until you get the problems to show up. You've got a pretty good chance of figuring out what is going wrong with his help.

Jerry S.

John Burrill

Jordan, it sounds like you have one of the following situations occuring with your transferred files:

1) you have files with the same names as your colleagues on your machine in a location that SolidWorks searches automatically when you load the assembly.  In this case, go to Tools=>Options: System Options tab: External References panel and check: "Search file locations for external references" and then make sure you unpack your colleagues files to a single directory

2) you have standard library parts that are loading and are different from your colleagues standard libary parts.  Remove the standard library paths from the Referenced Documents search path in Tools=>Options: System Options tab: File Locations panel.

3) your colleague isn't including toolbox parts in his pack-and-go and you don't have the toolbox add-in for your license of Solidworks.  Have him include the toolbox files in the pack-n-go.

Usually these types of problems are the reason engineers turn to a PDM system.