3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2014 4:02 PM by Jared Conway

Centrifugal pump

Aibolat Dyuisenakhmetov

Dear All,

I need your help. At university, we were doing flow simulation of a pump that is used by SolidWorks as validation for the simulation of rotation (SolidWorks Flow Simulation 2013 - Technical Reference). The BC are flowrate at inlet and environmental pressure at outlet. We wanted to calculate its efficiency. We need answer for some questions:

1) Which parameters do we need to choose to calculate pressure drop?

2) Which parameter should we use as a convergence criterion?

3) Why the value of torque do not converge?

Thank you in advance,

Aibolat

• Re: Centrifugal pump
          Jared Conway

have you checked the forum? lots of good discussions about this recently

1) goals at inlet and outlet for static pressure > equation goal for drop/change

2) inlet/outlet mass flow is a good first step

3) would need more information, likely mesh is too coarse or bad selections, or your setup is bad

I would recommend you contact your reseller through your educator to see if they will provide you some technical support and/or training. If that doesn't work, make sure to go through ALL of the tutorials, tech references and solving engineering problems and the solidworks kb.

• Re: Centrifugal pump
              Aibolat Dyuisenakhmetov

Dear Jared Conway,

Thank you for the answer. Could you please clarify what you mean by saying that setup is bad? Because I think the mesh is fine enough.

Also should not we use total pressure at inlet and outlet to calculate pressure drop for the efficiency? Honestly, I do not find SW tutorials on flow simulation very useful but we went through some tutorials like ball valve, centrifugal pump etc.

Regards,

Aibolat