1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 3, 2014 1:53 PM by Jared Conway

Fan Question

James Lupinek

Hello again,

Backstory:

I am performing convection testing on sheet metal enclosures with an internal heat source using external analisys. I am interested in seeing air both enter and exit the cabinet.

At a certain point convection will not cut it, and I need to put an outlet fan on the enclosure to get some heat out. But I would still like to see air exit the cabinet. So I was told by a solidworks rep that "Typically if users want to see the flow exit the cabinet users apply an inlet flow rate (same value as the outlet flow rate) on the other side of the exhaust lid."

So my question is. Can I transfer the heat value exiting the outlet, to the inlet somehow? The only thing I can think of is running it one time and measuring the exit temp myself. Then run it again with the inlet fans initial temp set to the value I measured previously.

Thanks in advance for anyone who reads my posts. I'm sorry if you answered this before, I can't seem to find a post about it.

James

• Re: Fan Question
          Jared Conway

if you want to see the flow exit your enclosure

setup an external internal study

its an external study so you can see what happens on the outside

but your box is sealed inside there (separate internal volume)

and then use an internal fan to pass flow from the inside to the outside

if you use internal outlet fans or external inlet fans, or flow rates, or pressure openings, they are basically "portals" that don't feed into the actual environment, they are virtual outlets