3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 1:47 AM by John Burrill

How do I remove a Belt1^ reference?

Jacob Kuznicki

I have an assembly that, when I open it, notifies me that it cannot find D:\[path]\Belt2-1^[assembly name].sldprt.  The reason I know is that the assembly was created by someone else, and they created and somehow partially removed a belt feature without saving it as an external part.  So...  How do I effectively remove this reference?  I do not see it show up as an External Reference in the assembly, or as far as I can see any of the components.

• Re: How do I remove a Belt1^ reference?
          John Burrill

In your assembly, go to File==>Find References and see if it shows up in the file list (probably grayed-out)

Virtual parts don't show up as external references for an assembly, so that could be why it's elluded you.

Jacob Kuznicki

Thank you John, for helping me find the refernce.  Now, how do I remove it?

BTW - Yes, it is grayed out.

John Burrill

Well, there are a couple of answers.

If the virtual component has simply gone missing, then you need to hunt down where it is in the assembly tree and either delete it or replace it with a recreated version of the part (this last is what you do if you get the brackets stripped from the virtual component name)

If the assembly is itself treating the virtual component as an external reference, then that means an assembly sketch or feature is referencing the component and you need to hunt that down.

The worst case scenario-and I've seen this happen once-is where you have a corrupt component or assembly file where the reference lingers on after the feature where it was created has been deleted.  Then it's just stuck in an internal table in the bowells of the assembly file itself and you either live with it or jettosine and rebuild the assembly.