3 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 11:49 AM by Nick Day

Making Lines Representing Complex Cuts Selectable in Drawings

Nick Day

I have created the model I require. Now I find that I cannot add dimensions of any kind to the lines representing the cuts I have made in the model. Any suggestions?

• Re: Making Lines Representing Complex Cuts Selectable in Drawings
          Patrick O'Hern

Try sketching some arcs/lines on top of the edges.  You most likely won't be able to get them to exactly match the edges, but you should be able to get them close.  Add your dimensions, and then if needed create a new layer and move the sketched entities to it.  Hide the layer and they won't appear on your drawing.

• Re: Making Lines Representing Complex Cuts Selectable in Drawings
            John Burrill

Nick, a lot of the geometry that Solidworks generates isn't dimensionable in a way that's useful for manufacturing or inspection.

Basically, when you make freeform cuts using lofts and surfacing the only way to produce the part and verify its accuracy is to make the CAD database the controling document and require manufacturing have the right CNC and CMM tools to make use of it.

It makes it sound like there was no way to manufacture organic goemetry before the advent of 3D CAD but ofcourse that's not true.  what technical drawings used to do is provide ordinate dimensions or tables corresponding to points on the subject

So what you're going to need to do is create sketch points and reference geometry on your model and dimension to those.