7 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2014 9:43 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Set title block to default

Nick Pospisil

Hey Everyone!

This is my first post on this site and honestly it feels cool. Ok, so I have an internship this summer and I deal with SolidWorks every day. My newest assignment is to create a title block template that our company will be able to use for our drawings. I figured out how to time stamp it and create a note which will lead whoever views the drawing to the folder where the part is located. My question is once I have all of that done, how can I set this new template to a default? Meaning, how can I just open that template up again and use it for a different part without having to make the whole title block and notes over again? I've been looking at tutorials for awhile now and I can't get it down.

Some background info:

1. I have SolidWorks 2013-2014

2. It's the student edition I got through my manufacturing classes

3. No official deadline, but my advisor would like to see progress by the end of this week

Thanks for your help,

Nick

• Re: Set title block to default
          Tom Smith

I'm not going to go through it step by step, but if you go over to http://my.solidworks.com and search for "drawing template" you'll find the first result very helpful

Jamil Snead

Usually this would involve two types of "templates", a sheet format which typically includes the title block and border (stuff that will be included on EVERY drawing) and then a drawing template which is based off of a sheet format but can also include common things that might need to be changed or deleted (like a generic note). Things that are located in the sheet format are not normally selectable while you are working in a drawing so this is nice because it doesn't get in the way.

To create (or edit) the sheet format open a drawing and right click on the sheet and select Edit Sheet Format. Then you can draw the borders and title block etc and add the notes which link to custom properties if that's how you do it. When you are done you can right click on the sheet again and select Edit Sheet. Then you will notice that you can't change the sheet format content any more (and the lines will probably turn gray, but if you print in black and white they will still print black). If you had already created the title block on top of the sheet you could just copy it, edit the sheet format, and then paste it. Once you have created your sheet format you can save it by going to File > Save Sheet Format and remember the location.

Some people use different title blocks for the first page of drawings and subsequent pages. Or maybe some people might have a different title block for assembly drawings. If you will have different title blocks then you will want to save a sheet format for each version. Make sure you name them descriptively so you would know which one to select when you need it.

Now you can create the drawing template. Start with a drawing that has the sheet format you want to show up when you start a new drawing. Make sure you are editing the sheet, not the sheet format. Then add whatever you want to show up when you start a new drawing that wasn't already included in the format (if anything). Then save the drawing template by going to File > Save As and under Save as type choose Drawing Templates (*.drwdot). I think usually you would want to save this in the same place as the format. You can save different templates if you want to, for example one for part drawings and one for assembly drawings, if you want them to start with different notes on them or with different title blocks.

Now, once you have the sheet format and drawing template saved you need to tell SolidWorks where they are. In System Options select File Locations and in the pull down menu pick Document Templates and add the folder where you saved the template. Then in the pull down menu pick Sheet Formats and add the folder where you saved the sheet format. Then on the left side of the System Options select Default Templates and in the Drawings box you can browse for the template.

Now if you start a new drawing it should list all of the drawing templates you created (they might be in a different tab if you didn't delete the default file locations that were already there in the system settings). So then you would pick the template you want to use and start the drawing and everything should be there. At any time in a drawing if you want to change to a different sheet format you can right click and choose Properties and then if should list all of the sheet formats there, so you could pick a different one. This is most likely what you would do if you wanted to convert an old drawing to use the new sheet format. If you will be using a different sheet format for the first page of a drawing than on subsequent pages then in System Options you will want to select Drawings on the left and then check the box near the bottom that says Show sheet format dialog when adding new sheet. If this is checked then when you add a new sheet to a drawing you can pick the sheet format to use. If it is not checked it will just use the same format as the first page.

I think that covers everything, hope it helps.

Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  Just to clarify, you mixed terms.  There is no such thing as a title block template.  SolidWorks uses two distinct file types related to drawings, Drawing Templates and Sheet Formats.  I don't mean to sound petty, but it's important to understand that.  It often gives new users quite a bit of trouble, and I know it did me when I was starting out.  There is an explanation in my second post on this discussion: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/57204.

Anyway, it sounds like you've gotten a sheet format set up and want this sheet format to be used for new drawings.  To accomplish that, open a new drawing.  Don't insert any drawing views, but right-click on an empty part of the sheet, or on the sheet tab at the bottom of your monitor, and choose Properties from the drop-down.  That will take you to the sheet properties dialog box.  If your newly saved sheet format isn't listed, click on the Browse button and find it.  Once you have it selected, exit the sheet properties dialog box.  The sheet should now have your new title block.  Go to Save as.. Drawing Template, (either over-riding the existing one or give a new name, and for now it's probably safer to give it a new name).  After saving, you can close the drawing.  Now any time anyone starts a new drawing using this newly saved drawing template it will use the correct sheet format.

If after going over this and checking the linked discussion you have any more questions feel free to ask.  I'll probably be away from the computer for the rest of the evening, but I'm sure someone else will be glad to help, or I can answer early tomorrow morning.

If this does answer your question, I'd appreciate knowing that also.

Nick Pospisil

Glenn,

Thank you so much. I was finally able to open my sheet format as a template! Hopefully I'll get the terminology down soon. However I do have one more problem I need to get fixed. When updating my sheet format I laid down some notes in the title block which I want the user to be able to update. I've been following the tutorial which I have below. If you want to see where I'm having trouble skip to 5:00 in. When I select my text to be updated, I get the text fields. However, when I open a new drawing with my template, I'm not able to double click in the title block and have the text fields show up for editing. Any clue what went wrong? Thanks for your help!

Nick

Glenn Schroeder

I'm afraid I don't have time to look at the video right now, but if you have notes saved in a sheet format then you will need to be in "Edit sheet format" mode to edit them directly.  The preferred method for notes in title blocks is to have the notes linked to custom properties.  Then the user can open the drawing, go to File > Properties... and fill in the information there.  Then the notes in the title block will update automatically.

The properties can be saved in the Drawing Template so they're already there when new drawings are opened.  All the user will need to do is enter the information that's specific to that drawing.

Nick Pospisil

wow, i didn't post the link to the tutorial...duh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wpGtFdBKAs