2 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2014 6:18 PM by Jerry Steiger

Edit a part direct and ONLY in an Assembly?

Brian Corbin

Hi Guys,

I have a range of standard products finished design in SWX they use a lot of tabled design drawings etc to cover various sizes and all is good and working on that front.

Now I want other users here to be able to insert the assemblies into their projects and size them to suit (almost infinate range of sizes) I dont want/need them to edit anything to do with the original files as they are finished and complete, but "pictorially" in their designs they must look like the right size. Of course since their is multiple sizes I have only designed one, and used tabled drawings to cover a vast range of sizes so their is no "standard configuration" of the size they will need in a particular project.

What I would ideally like to do show is insert the size assembly you need, then WITHOUT editing the base assembly or base parts, just be able to use something like an assembly "Move Face" command that will just stretch a couple of faces a certain distance. These faces are "streched" only at the assembly level andthe original files as not edited or changed in any way. That would be perfect!

Trouble is I cant see any way to do that? I only see in an assembly ways to remove material Cut,Holes etc

Is there any way in SWX to achieve this? It will be a real pain to make an infinate number of variations if not..... :-( and I am hesitant to let everybody edit the "standard" drawings as and when required.

Thanks!

Brian (SWX learner, Inventor Expert)

• Re: Edit a part direct and ONLY in an Assembly?
          Jamil Snead

I don't know of a way to do what you are asking. It seems to me like configurations of the parts in different sizes is the best way to accomplish what you want. Surely you wouldn't need infinite variations, or else that would mean your table on the drawing has infinite rows, which would make it difficult to fit on a page. Even if there are infinite potential sizes that might be needed in the future you don't need to create them all up front, you can create (or have everybody create) a new configuration for each new size as they are needed.

But maybe someone else knows of a way to do what you want.

Edit: I just re-read your post and realize maybe you were saying you don't want to let the users create configurations in the original files. Any chance you could have them come to you whenever they need a new size and you create it for them?

With the configuration publisher you could probably set up an easy interface for people to create the sizes they need without needing to dig around in the part features. I wonder if there is a way to make the part read only except for what is set up in the configuration publisher? That would be cool.

Message was edited by: Jamil Snead

• Re: Edit a part direct and ONLY in an Assembly?
            Jerry Steiger

Brian,

If your search for posts by Mauricio Martinez-Saez, I think you will find that he has worked out how to do what you are asking As I recall, his work is aimed at projects that are similar but not tied to one another, so all the drawings and files are unique.

Jerry S.