8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2014 12:53 AM by Jared Conway

best way to model slotted flooring?

Dan Hofstetter

Hi all,

Many of the CFD models I simulate have a building with slotted concrete flooring separating a storage tank from the building above.  This flooring is 6" thick, and typically has 1.5" to 2" wide slots that are ~ 8" on-center (so there is a ~6" wide solid section of flooring between slots).  This flooring may cover the entire storage tank, or only portions of it (alleyways).  Until now, I've just been modeling this as-is, by creating the geometry in SolidWorks and letting Flow simulation create a 3D mesh around it.  I've been thinking maybe it would be better to define and use some sort of perforated plate or porous media though, and wanted to get some input to see what others might do.

There is usually tunnel airflow through the building, and a single axial fan is placed flat on the floor to blow fresh air down into the storage tank.  This air impinges on the bottom of the storage tank, then circulates with the tank air and exits the tank through the floor slots.  The tunnel airflow through the building exhausts the tank air from the building.

I don't have any experience with perforated plates or porous media.  I was thinking that I could set up a relatively small model with the actual slotted floor geometry, then run it at some different air flow rate combinations and use point or surface parameters to calculate the pressure drop across the flooring.  Has anyone here done something similar?

Thanks,

Dan