6 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2014 5:24 AM by Stefan Wozniak

Meshing Issues

David Kruger

I am currently trying to run analysis on my aircraft wing design but am continuosly getting meshing errors. I have checked interference and it is saying there are no interfering parts. Also, the entire mesh does not fail. It fails to mesh half of one rib and the skin. What can I do to run analysis on my wing.

• Re: Meshing Issues
          Stefan Wozniak

Try curvature based mesher.

You can also try to mesh separate parts to find problem.

You can also turn on incompatible mesh it helps when separate parts are able to mesh but assembly can't. This resolves meshing problems at shared boundaries but it also reduces result quality on those boundaries.

David Kruger

I have both of those checked. It seems that solidworks is just not consistent. Sometimes it meshes fine and then other times it doesnt. Then sometimes it will mesh but it wont run because it says the mesh is to fine.

Jared Conway

I haven't looked at your model but based on your description it sounds like your model needs a bit of love. The mesher is pretty robust and is generally consistent with a good model.

When you did interference detection, did you include bodies?

If cleaning up the model is out of the question you could also enable incompatible meshing to help with face to face meshing that is inconsistent.

And finally make sure you are using the right mesh type. Sounds like shells and beams would be best. When you get into that you may want to build a good model for analysis.

Stefan Wozniak

Please send your model with setup.

First that I see is that you should use shell for ribs and skin. Main spar should also be treated as a shell or beam. Without such mesh simplifications mesher will fail.

David Kruger

How do i specify using shell for specific parts?

Stefan Wozniak

You should go thru tutorials or/and read simulation book.

Creating shells is easy but creating correct shells with correct contact is difficult.

One of easiest way is to convert elements in modeling environment. Change ribs and skin in to sheetmetal and create main spar as beam. SWX simulation should choose correct mesh type automaticlly on study creation.

Manual way is much more difficult and time consuming but you will have better controll and better results. It's to complex to fully describe it here.