5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2014 5:55 AM by Jaka Zohar

Chess knight

Jaka Zohar

Greetings,

i want to create a Chess Knight out of 3 picture views.

I really dont know what is the best way to replicate it. I tried with 3d scan software, also tried in solidworks but i failed (only basic outline and some fillets, but it is not the same...)

Also tried with surfaces, but managed to create only the part without the head of the figurine.

I know how to set up pictures, but i cannot manage to get curves in the right position.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance.

J.

• Re: Chess knight
          Joeri Friederich

There are alot of tips that you can use to model the free flowing (3d sketch) lines in the 3d camaro surfacing tutorial:

http://www.solidsmack.com/resources/free-solidworks-surfacing-camaro-modeling-tutorial/

Might help.

• Re: Chess knight
            John Burrill

Well, with Solidworks, you always want to ask the question, "how is this made?"  You should be able to describe the part in terms of manufacturing and that will give you strong cues as to how to approach it. 

This approach works well for your chess piece because it was obviously carved from a rectangular block of wood.  My guess is that the sculptor cut the side view of the head first and then came in and cut the escarpments from the top view and then the mane and finished  with the eyes.

Your elevation profile sketch of the piece looks good.  Now you need to do the same thing for the front and top views. 

You're going to effectively project a curve from one view onto the corresponding curve on another view to produce a 3D wires that will serve as guides for your extrude,loft and sweep cuts.  When creating your sketches, you want to pick the one with the most information about the part (probably the profile view) and trace it precisely.  For your other two sketches, you're gonig to favor connecting your curves to the sketch point on your pofile sketch over matching the picture precisely.  This is really important because, when you create your projected curves, they'll need to all intersect  neatly at their endpoints.

As I said, use the projected curves to create profiles and paths for sweep and loft cuts.

I suggest your read the help topics on the following topics

projected curves

loft and sweep cuts

JOhn