3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2014 3:02 PM by Deepak Gupta

Load from flash drive?

Steve Krause

I want to take a flash drive with a large sw assembly on it over to a friend's house and observe if his computer can manipulate the assembly fast enough to buy that type of computer.  I can either load the file directly from the USB flash drive, which I beliveve would be a much slower open than from a hard disk, or I can copy the files from the flash drive on to his hard disk and load from the hard disk.    If I load from the flash drive it will be slower to load the big file but after it loads will it also perform slower while I spin the model and do other sorts of general file editing?  Yes, it will be slower to write to the flash drive too but I just want to learn whether his computer is worth buying for sw.  

I ask this because this is company files and I probably shouldn't be sharing this on to non company computers.  I do trust my friend, but just as good practice it would be preferred if I didn't actually put the files on his hard drive if I didn't have to, which is why I am asking the question.

• Re: Load from flash drive?
          Deepak Gupta

Instead can you try running the SW benchmark test on yours and his machine and compare scores of both to check.

Steve Krause

Your suggestion makes sense but right now I can't.

A sad story:  I took my computer to work a while back and loaded SW.  To use it at home I VPN into the company network and check out the license for the evening.  As mentioned it runs the large assembly pretty slow with my i5 and nvidia GTX660. On smaller assemblies and models it is an adequate machine.   Last week I had a great idea.  let's try it with a CAD graphics card that I had sitting around from an old workstation that the company was getting rid of.  A FireGL V7100.   I pulled out the GTX660 and put in the V7100.  It was worse performance and running RX it didn't appear to have a way to check my system.  I think it was saying it was unrecoginzed so it couldn't do the automated graphic driver install that I think it can do with regular systems.   SW was drawing lines in the wrong places and it was a mess. 

So I took out the V7100 and put back in the GTX660 and for the last week I have been struggling to get any audio coming out of the computer.  I have done a lot of reading and trouble shooting and a last ditch attempt has been to reinstall windows.  So I've lost my SW installation for now, until I can do the install again.  

So I have two problems:  one I need a computer that can open and run a big assembly and two I can't listen to any music or watch youtube or Solidworks proceedings from Soldiworks World. 

Back to my question, wlll running from a flash drive slow performance, other than opening and writing, where the bandwidth is limited by the flash drive?

Deepak Gupta

Steve I can't answer your question fully but based on my understanding and knowledge, the performance should not be slower once all files have been opened up. On the other hand I should also tell you that that I've heard/seen issues with using/opening SW files  flash drive. ON checking through SW KB, I also found out that windows search doesn't work for removable drive and flash drive is one of them. Check S-065015 (Why does SolidWorks Search not find files saved on a USB Flash drive (thumb drive)?)

So your best option is to go and check yourself. I would also suggest your to discuss it with your boss (if you're your own boss then it is great) about taking of files and opening in the friends machine. Better to take permission to copy the files to his machine and then do the real testing/checking of the system which would enable you to decide about the system. Not sure if you can ask some hardware vendors to chime in their system for a performance test at your facility.