2 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2014 10:59 PM by Kelvin Lamport

Making Plans

Kevin N/A

Hello everyone,

Please forgive me if I have posted this question in the wrong section. I was not sure where to ask.

I have a tray support for a model plane I am designing modeled in solidwoks. I am needing to unfold this part so that, when printed, it can be adhered to a piece of foam and cut out. It does not matter if this is done in the part file or the drawing file. Just as long as I can print it out

Can somebody point me in the right direction? I have included the part file so you can see what I am reffering to. The surface view I would like to have an accurate print out of is in red.

Thanks,

Kevin

EDIT:

If anybody is still reading this the bottom two replies were definitely correct in saying that it could not be done in solidworks. However, I was able to produce accurate results using "ExtractSRF" "Join" and "UnrollSRFuv" commands in rhino 3d. From there I exported the part to a .STP file and reimported it back into solidworks. Did a bit of cleaning a checking to make sure the results were accurate, and presto. Flattened part.

Capture.JPG

• Re: Making Plans
          Bernie Daraz

If the part has a consistant thickness it is likely that you can use the sheet metal tools to unfold your part. See Convert to Sheet Metal. The part can be simply unfolded. There are other factors to consider but that may depend on your need for accuracy. I am assuming the part has only one radius per axis with no transistioning radius.

• Re: Making Plans
            Kelvin Lamport

That part is not suitable for sheet metal conversion. The splines used to create the extruded profile will have to be changed to arcs.

The material thickness is not constant either.