I'm in same exact boat.
Verify that the database name is correct in the registry keys of the client machine.
The archive server is in the same Databases key, verify that one too. The server ust be on your domain or use FQDN format.
I checked the registry keys and they are correct. However, I saw that there were keys for dbserver and dbname. That's when a light bulb went off. If the EPDM client needs to directly connect to SQL, then I need to change my sql config to allow TCP/IP connections. Modern verisons of SQL Server have this disabled by default. Sure enough I enabled TCP/IP on SQL and restarted the service. Now I can connect!
Chad, this might fix you too!
1. Open SQL Server Configuration Manager on your EPDM server.
2. In the tree on the left side, navigate to SQL Server Network Configuration > Protocols for MSSQLSERVER
3. On the right side double click on TCP/IP
4. Set Enabled to Yes
5. Restart the SQL Server service (or the whole computer)