9 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2014 12:34 AM by Denny Peter

Attatch General Table to Model View

Karl Diekman

Trying to attach a general table to a specific model.

Is it possible to do?

• Re: Attatch General Table to Model View
          Jamil Snead

When you say attach, do you mean you want to have text linked to properties of the model in the view, like using $PRPVIEW?

Karl Diekman

Want to use $PRPMODEL for multiple models on the sheet

Jamil Snead

I tried some stuff and none of it worked. The only thing I can think of is to put all of the items in one assembly and set up the table as a BOM. Then you can have the columns refer to custom properties. If you already have an assembly with all the pieces in it but you want the parts shown individually, you could put the view of the whole assembly off the sheet or hide it, and then place the individual parts on there separately.

How do you plan to identify which row corresponds to which model? If you were going to use item numbers and balloons then that will still work. In the individual part views go to the view properties and check the box to link balloon text to specified table and choose the BOM.

Karl Diekman

I tried some stuff and none of it worked. The only thing I can think of is to put all of the items in one assembly and set up the table as a BOM. Then you can have the columns refer to custom properties.

I did that and it worked but I could not format it the same way.

If you already have an assembly with all the pieces in it but you want the parts shown individually, you could put the view of the whole assembly off the sheet or hide it, and then place the individual parts on there separately.

Not necesarily making assemblies

How do you plan to identify which row corresponds to which model?

Each part would have a table.  I was going to create another table without the material callout for similar material parts

If you were going to use item numbers and balloons then that will still work. In the individual part views go to the view properties and check the box to link balloon text to specified table and choose the BOM.

Just using for individual parts. 

Thanks for your input.

Matt Martens

You could construct a block that looks like a general table with the links in place that when it attaches to a view would populate with the right properties.

Karl Diekman

Thanks for the responses. 

I too have discovered various ways to get the information I need.

They all involve some workaround and each has its own limitations.

I would like the table to look the same.

I would like to have it for multiple materials on the same sheet.

I would like to easily edit the length column.

I am working with SolidWorks 2013

Sooo....

Is it possible to attach a General Table to a Model View?

This would give me everything I would need.

So far the awnser is no.