4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2014 10:02 AM by Chris Dordoni

3DSMAX mesh to Solidworks

John Costa

Ok this question is in need of some real help. I need advice on getting my 3DSMAX model into SolidWorks. THe model has been converted to a mesh or poly, exported succesfully out of Max as a DWG file and an STL file. How can I get it into SW now? IGES to SW? Convert to IGES using what? then import to SW? Help!

• Re: 3DSMAX mesh to Solidworks
          Chris Dordoni

What do you need to do with this in SolidWorks?

Typically, a mesh model is only good for a reference and would need to be rebuilt using SolidWorks own modeling tools.

For some things, you might be be able to import a mesh as a solid or surfaces, but the limiting factor here is the number of triangles. About 15,000 - 20,000 tris is the upper end for using it as a solid or surface body in the Standard SolidWorks

If you have the Scan to 3D option in the SolidWorks license (SolidWorks Premium) this would give you a some options to be able to fit nurbs surfaces to the triangles, as well as opening larger files.

Converting a triangulated file to directly to an IGS file is usually not helpful, as the triangles don't change. The exception to this would be using something like Geomagic, which fits a smooth nurbs surface to the triangles.