11 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2014 10:45 AM by Bill Stadler

Checking In Files

Tony Dugan

Hi,

Is there a way around checking in files that are checked out by another user on another computer? so if someone is out of the office and i as admin need to work on a part or assembly that he/her has checked out can i override them as admin and check in thier file from another computer?

• Re: Checking In Files
          Jeremy Feist

i believe the best you can do is to undo their check out - so you will not get any of the work they have done to the part. nad if they are not warned and realy careful, the work they have done will likely be lost the next time they go to access that file.

Tony Dugan

thats what i thought thanks

Brian McEwen

However, the Admin user can see and open all the files, even if never checked in. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like the Admin user could go and copy the unchecked versions to outside the vault, as a backup before running Undo Check out. Could email the user about the situation too.

I would only mess with this if really necessary.  But seeems better than not making a copy first. 

Jeremy Feist

not being an admin, I can't check that, but  I don't know about opening a working version from another user's cache. I know the Admin can see file names and datacards for files that have been added to the vault but not yet checked in.

another option is if you have some pull with the your IT dept. (or are the IT dept.) might be to log onto their computer as them and check the file in.

Bill Stadler

Actually Admin can log on to their computer and check in the file... I am not sure if any other user can though.

Craig Lalumiere

Bill I'll vouch for that statement:

Bill Stadler wrote:

Actually Admin can log on to their computer and check in the file... I am not sure if any other user can though.

Only the admin has this ability. I had to do it several times. You can even be under a different windows profile you just must be on the same machine and no work is lost.

Tony Dugan

OK, thats what i thought so you do need to be on the same computer b/c the IP address is connected to the user that has the file checked out and you can only check in using the same IP address. that should be changed so that admin can check in someones files from another location incase someone is out sick or doesn't have access to the computer.

Craig Lalumiere

It's nothing to do with the IP it based off the files are located (stored) on the local cash of that machine. So you have to get the file from the local hard drive and put them back on your server.

Bill Stadler

I have been thinking about entering an ER in regards to this subject.  Something like have EPDM do a periodic (in the background transparent to the user) upload to the archive server, each upload would overwrite the previous.  When the file is actually checked in then the that upload would be replaced with the check in.  I guess this would be similar to the cloud method...

This would allow the admin to check it in from anywhere as well as recover a file for a user that crashed for whatever reason.

Bill