4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 2:46 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Can you group objects in assembly?

Andi H

Can you group objects in an assembly in solidworks. those who have used Rhion. In rhino you can select certain objects group them or separte them by layer and when you import to render all those grouped objects automatically get same material. How can do that in solidworks. Basically I hame many patterns want to render in keyshot. But how do I separate the the socks from the paper from the hanging plastic thing. They were all modeled as a multi body part. How do link all the socks to each other all the hanging plastic bits and all the paper thing. I keep running into this issue. they way I have done it so far go individually in keyshot but that that takes forever.

Capture.JPG

• Re: Can you group objects in assembly?
          Andi H

Usually what I see is when I import an assembly all the separate file parts automatically are seen by keyshot as separate entitiesand all mirrored or copy parts get same material. but If I was to import this the whole thing would get same material and it would take forever to unlink and reaply materials for each individual  part

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Andi,

You can assign different materials to each body in a multi-body part.  Will that help?

And I know this after the fact, and may not help with keyshot anyway, but I think I would probably have created the sock, the paper tag, and the plastic hook as seperate parts, then had each unit (2 socks, tag, and hook) as a sub-assembly.

Andi H

That would have been better but the tag was based on how thick to socks were and the hook was design based on the over all height and width of tags and socks. I think I will just export as solids then reassemble. That would save a lot more time in the long run. I know you can assign different materials but in Keyshot you have to go in manually and unlink each individual parts This is only one pannel I have like 4 with about 50-60 socks each

Glenn Schroeder

Andi H wrote:

That would have been better but the tag was based on how thick to socks were and the hook was design based on the over all height and width of tags and socks.

You can edit the parts within the assembly so all that stuff is linked.

Another option that I just thought of, that might be better than exporting as solids, would be to open your part, save out each body as a seperate part, then assign the properties in each file.  Then re-combine them in a sub-assembly and replace the part with this sub-assembly in your main assembly.

save as new part.png