14 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2014 11:02 PM by Dave Krum

need a little help on making opposite hand of simple part

Dave Krum

Hello All,

I need to make an opposite hand / mirror of a part and then take out the holes on the new version.  I checked the help file and it says to first select the plane for mirroring, then select "insert / mirror part" from the top menu.  I am choosing "solid bodies, absorbed sketches, and unabsorbed sketches" from the options box to create the new opposite hand version in a new file.  It appears to be created as needed in a new file, but in the "Part 10" newly created file there are no options in the tree to edit any of the old sketches.  I need to take out the holes of the new mirrored version but cannot.  I was hoping to choose the "break link to original part" thinking maybe that would now make the part independent of the parent.  I am still on SW2010.  I think on the later version there is an option for a checkbox called "create opposite" but the version I have is only SW2010.  Also tried using the "features / mirror" option but that just makes an opposite hand version within the same part and if I go to delete the original version to save just the opposite hand, it will delete everything.  I'd appreciate any help.  Thanks in advance.

• Re: need a little help on making opposite hand of simple part
          Justin Strempke

If you mirror within the same part, create a new configuration and lable original and new as LH, RH.  In the mirrored version, be sure to uncheck 'Merge bodies', then go to the top of the feature tree to 'Solid Bodies', RMB the original body and select 'Delete Body'.  This will allow the mirrored version to stay in place, which you should be able to suppress the hole feature in that config as well.  I can't confirm all these possibilities on SW2010 though is the only thing.

John Burrill

Dave, if your intention is to have both left and right versions of the part and for changes to the left hand version to propoagte to the right hand version, then you'll need to use configurations to get all of that working correctly.

So to rework your existing model,

Open your left hand version and create new configuration called "Mirror Prep" or something similar, with the holes suppressed and save your file.

Open your right-hand version and goto the stock body in the feature manager tree, right-click on it and select 'List External References'

The External References dialog box will display showing a path to your left hand part and there will be a list of configurations to use. 

stock_model_config.PNG

Select your "Mirror Prep" configuration from the list.

Click OK and the model will update

You should then have a linked left and right-hand version of the part without holes.

One more thing.  The stock feature may not show up until you save or rebuild the derived part.

Have a go and let us know if you get stuck.

Dave Krum

John & Justin,

Thanks for the help!  Will try out the above shortly.  Very informative

Dave Krum

I am reading over your suggestions and have a few questions:

1.  I didn't use hole feature for the holes, they were put right in with sketch of perimeter of part, so I guess I cannot suppress just the holes

2.  When making the new right hand configuration, should I be choosing a "derived configuration" off the LH original body or new one off the top configuration?  Also, not I did not merge both extrudes on the original part so they're separate bodies.  Justin mentioned to uncheck "merge bodies", is this for the original body that he is referring to?  Thanks!

Justin Strempke

If you didn't create the holes from a separate feature, you can always make an extruded rectangle within the body to fill the holes up.

Do not do a Add Derived Config, use 'Add Configuration...' when RMB on the top of the config tree (part name).

You can choose to Mirror Bodies within the Mirror tool - it doesn't matter if there were originally a single body feature or not.  You can mirror multiple features, but the bodies touching the mirror plane will be merged as would all mirrored features to themselves.

John Burrill

1) use contour selection to make the holes seperate features from the bosses.

contour_selection.PNG

2)  I'd create the right-hand prep configuration as a derived configuration so that features added to the original configuration automatically propogate to it, but that depends on your circumstances.  Just to be clear, you're going to create  a prep configuration in the left-hand part and the only thing you're going to do there is suppress the holes.  You then activate that configuration, select your plane of symmetry and goto Insert==>Mirror Part...  If the new part still shows the holes, then, right-click on the derived part feature-or stock feature if you follow the instructions I gave in my previous post-and select "List External References" from the context menu.  YOu can then select your MIrror Prep configuration to dipslay the opposite hand version without holes.

Dave Krum

Hi John,

I tried the "contour select" last nite using my original part that was uploaded on here and couldn't figure out how to get the circles in the sketch to extrude cut into their own feature using this command.  I checked the help file but it doesn't give a good step by step.  I ended up just creating centerlines at each center of circle within the sketch, then deleting out the circles within the sketch, and finally using the hole feature outside of the sketch to put a same size circle at each line endpoint.

As far as the "list external references" and opposite hand configurations, still trying to learn about these.  From what I can see, when "mirror part" is used, it creates a new file.  If the feature / mirror is used, the mirrored part is created within same part.  Thanks for the help.

Jerry Steiger

Dave,

Another method to get rid of the holes is to Delete Faces, selecting the Patch option. When it works well it is extremely quick and easy.

Jerry S.

Dave Krum

Hello guys,

Think I finally got it.  What I did was make the holes as a hole feature that can be suppressed, then made a derived configuration of the LH part called RH while the holes were suppressed.  With the RH config active, I did a feature / mirror of the two solid bodies.  I then RMB on the cut list of the RH config and deleted the original LH solid bodies.  I think this is correct.  If I would have made a new config off the top of config tree (instead of a derived config from LH) not sure I would have gotten the same results, didn't try that. But then if I'd make a change to the LH version, from what you guys said, this change wouldn't propagate to the RH version, correct?  I've attached the part.  Maybe someone can take a quick look.  Thanks!

Jerry Steiger

Dave,

So, the LH version has holes and the RH version does not? In that case, it makes sense to me, since you can just suppress the holes in the RH derived configuration. If I've got it backwards, and the RH version has holes and the LH version does not, then I would think that you should have made the RH version be the parent and the LH version be the derived configuration. Otherwise, it seems that unsuppressing the holes in the parent configuration would cause them to appear in the derived configuration.

It's been quite a while since I used a derived configuration, so I may have forgotten how they work.

Jerry S.

Dave Krum

Hi Jerry,

Yes, the LH version has the holes and the RH does not.  The holes in this stiffener weldment are to be field drilled in line with the LH holes once these girder stiffeners go on both sides of the web.

As for the suppressing, I think what I did was suppress the holes in the LH parent, then make a derived configuration of this and called it RH.  Then after this config was made, I went back and unsuppressed the holes in the parent and luckily they didn't propogate to the RH.  I am still learning about configurations but would have thought the since the RH is a child, when unsuppressing the holes in the parent, they would have followed thru.  Maybe because the config was made when the holes were suppressed, they are just not in there at all.

Anyways, thanks for your insight.  Much appreciated.