6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2014 11:36 AM by Rob Haas

File Size? Monster!

Victor Jensen

We have a file that is a simple little assembly, it's file size has grown a 190MB Tumor.   It's current file size is 195MB and it takes way too long to load.  Once it loads we can do a simple save as, give it a new name, and it drops to 3.5MB and loads like a tiny little file should. 195MB is 57 Times as big as it's Saved As version.  If we simply copy it to another file location, open and then save it, then it drops to 5.1MB file size.  Which is probably the 3.5MB file with it's Doppelganger Shadow File in tow, like it should be. I just want to know how and why solidworks Hindenberged this Balloon Animal of a file to 57 times it's normal size. How I can stop this Work Stopping File Corruption.  What sent up the red flags on this is it's parent file was loading very slowly so we looked at the ram being used...10GB GASP! Then we looked at it's file size...600MB another GASP!...then we drilled down through it's sub assemblies and this little tiny assembly was 200MB.  We already knew about the Save As rename trick to drop file size, and this promptly shrunk it to 3.5MB.   We also did a save as on all the other sub assemblies and the parent and it is now 49MB as opposed to it's pre-Save As'd 600MB And new we can once again resume working.   Do we need to make sure to Save As and Rename our files every so often? or is there a deflate file size check box somewhere?  How do we solve this egregious file size problem? Because having all our 3.5MB sized files inflating to 195MB is just not workable. 

• Re: File Size? Monster!
          Anna Wood

Have you worked with your SolidWorks reseller tech support?  They should be able to help you work through the issue.  And if there is a bug in the file get it up to SW Hq to get resolved.

FWIW,

Anna

Victor Jensen

We've sent it to GoEngineer and they're going to send it up to SolidWorks.  GoEngineer says we might hear something back from SolidWorks as soon as monday.   I'm sure other solidworks users are experiencing this and I'd love to hear what they've done to remedy the problem.  I'm hoping there's a fix or cure, or antidote to this file disease.  I'll pass along anything I hear from SolidWorks.

Patrick O'Hern

Just as a test, make sure you have "Link Display States to Configurations" unchecked.  Delete all but one display state and then save.  I have seen this dramatically reduce file sizes.

Just as a note, when "Link Display States to Configurations" is checked, SW will create a new display state for every configuration.  If that configuration is later deleted, display states that were linked to that config are NOT deleted.  If you have a file that has had multiple configs added and deleted (especially if mulitple display states were created for each), this can seriously increase your file size.

Jerry Steiger

Victor,

Rather than going throught the renaming routine, you can use a small, free program called ecoSqueeze. It worked very well for me back in the day when file size was more of a problem.

Jerry S.

Rob Haas

If your assembly's configurations are saving all the Rebuild/Save Marks then assemblys with multiple configurations will balloon in size as the configurations are rebuilt and saved.  You can change this in the assembly's Configurations window: right-click on the part/assembly (top line in this window), a new window opens, right-click Rebuild/Mark Save, right-click Remove Mark and Purge Data for All Configurations.  When you save the file all the rebuild data but the currently used configuration will be deleted and the file should be greatly reduced in size.  Doing this can make switching from one configuration to another will take longer as each configuration has to rebuild now but the saved file sizes are much smaller. If you have a particular configuration you tend to use you can pick Add a Mark for This Configuration and it will be preserved, or you do your last save while in the configuration just as you exit.

Hope it helps.

Rob Haas