4 Replies Latest reply on May 8, 2014 4:25 PM by Jerry Steiger

Cutting sheet metal assembly with assembly (or part)

Bales David

New user here, any help is greatly appreciated! 

I have a pair of four part assemblies that overlap, and I would like to subtract an area of intersection from each set, kind of a slot and tab situation.

I have tried many different approaches to get the common volumes subtracted, but none have worked.

The main problem seems to be that the original parts appear in the tree as surface bodies in the part model, not solids. This eliminates all of the options I have found online.

I originally had these parts modeled as lofted shapes, but they were too messy and unstable (many curves were being modified during design), so I went to sheet metal instead.

This made a much cleaner model, and flattened much better for providing future waterjet cutting templates.

The current parts were each created as sheet metal extrusions from a single line sketch. Because they need to be flattened, they were modeled indvidually and then mated into assemblies.

I have saved a modified version of one set of parts (the second assembly) as a single part to be used for cutting, but can't get it to save as a body.

Is there a way to use a surface body as a cutting surface on an assembly?

Or is there a trick to somehow get these models to behave as solids?

The final solution needs to stay linked to the original model and drawings to accomodate any further dimensional changes from the client.

Thanks so much, love the forums, so much great experience here!

db

• Re: Cutting sheet metal assembly with assembly (or part)
          Jerry Steiger

db,

I'm confused. If they are sheet metal parts, how can they be surface bodies only?

You can't use Cut with Surface in an assembly (at least, not in SW2010, which I am running), but you can edit the part in context of the assembly and use Cut with Surface.

Another approach would be to edit the part in context of the assembly and then manually build your sketch for a normal cut. If you want to do a lot of different variations this is probably not a good idea, but it will be easy to do for a one off.

Jerry S.

Bales David

Hi Jerry, thanks for your reply!

I was thinking they are not solid bodies, because there is no Solid Bodies folder in the design tree anywhere in the Part or Assembly.

Also, all the feature commands that I was hoping to use are not available: Indent, Cut with Surface, Thickened Cut, Intersect, Combine, or Join (although it makes sense that they are not available while in Assembly mode).

I have seen examples where a part was used to cut another part in an assembly, but not one assembly used for cutting another as I was hoping to do.

If I convert the main assembly to a part, can I use that as an object to be cut by another inserted part?

I saw an Feature/Indent example of that procedure that would be perfect, just haven't been able to do that here.

And how do I get the Bodies Folder to show? I have it selected as "Show" in Options/FeatureManager, but no go for these parts.

Bales David

I was able to use your suggestion of editing in context, and that released those greyed out Feature operations.

Did a couple test cuts, and it looks promising!