4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2014 10:26 AM by Deepak Gupta

Belt drive

Mantas Jucius

Hello,
      Is it posible to insert ''belt-drive''? Ends of a belt is fixed to blue part (big red dots.
      This is one belt to X Y axes with two stepers.  I need to simulate this and cant find out how to do ''belt drive"
      Any sugestions?
      (sorry about painting )
      Thanks
      Mantas

try.JPG

• Re: Belt drive
          Mantas Jucius

up

Erik Bilello

Mantas,

Since non of the smart folks out there, except Jerry, have responded, I took a stab at your problem.

Jerry's right that you can't have an open loop for a belt, but with a little sleight of hand I was able to use mates to achieve what I think is the result you are after.  See if this method will work for you.  The belt serves no real function except to show that the path it would take does in fact remain constant.  It doesn't move in real time, you need to rebuilt to see the path change.

I used GearMate and RackPinionMate (with the racks hidden) to simulate a belt.  The 2 parallel mates at the bottom of the folder labeled  ". . .stepper motor lock" can be suppressed/unsuppressed to show the allowable movement with one or both motors moving or stopped. 

Deepak Gupta

Mantas,

I'm trying to understand as how this system would work. For simulating you can make the full belt and hide that. And for showing, make your belt with the two ends as an in-context part which will update with the movements.

Jerry Steiger

Mantas,

I have never done a belt drive, but I seem to recall, from reading in the forums, that SolidWorks belts have to be a closed loop. I'm not sure if that means you can't do what you want to do, or if you just have to trick the system a bit to allow for the fact that your belt is an open loop attached at both ends to the same part.

Jerry S.