4 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2014 3:27 AM by Ian Worrall

Routing in Assemblies

Daniel Latz

Hey,

I am currently making an assembly that represents a part that we have.  This assembly contains two hookups, and a flexible hose that connects the two hookups.  My thought was, that by using the routing feature to create the hose between the two hookups, and by adding this assembly as flexible into a larger assembly, that when I connected the two hook ups, the hose would contour to keep its route from one hook up to the next.  Does anyone know if this is possible to do on solidworks? Making a hose that bends in the assembly?

Thanks in advance,

File attached so you have a better understanding of what I am trying to say.

• Re: Routing in Assemblies
          Kevin Pymm

Daniel,

You need to use Pack & Go to include the parts with your Assembly.

Jerry Steiger

Daniel,

I believe you can do what you want (and you don't need to use Routing to do it), but it will not be as automatic as you would like. You can build the hose in the context of the assembly and run a spline between the two ends as the path for a Sweep. It will rebuild to match the different positions of your ends as they move. But you will need to define the spline points in the different configurations to get a realistic looking path. The ability to define the length of a spline (new in some fairly recent release, maybe 2014) should make this work much better.

Jerry S.

Daniel Latz

I don't fully understand what you are saying. I cannot build a new part in an assembly, so I cannot attach a spline to the two connection points on the hose, because they are two seperate parts.

Ian Worrall

You [u]can[/u] build a new part in an assembly.

On your "Assembly" toolbar, click the little triangle below "Insert Components" & select "New Part" (Or use Insert / Component / New Part)

This will create a virtual part in your feature tree called "Part1^Assemblyname", which you can then go into & edit.

When you're happy with it, RMB & select "Rename Part", then RMB again & Select "Save Part (In External file)".