3 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 10:49 AM by Lenny Bucholz

Digitizing Device for Converting Mylar Loft to 2D point Data

Jeff Dion

I am working on a project where I have Original engineering data in Scaled Mylar Loft format. Is there a digitizing device to digitize/plot these points from the mylar directly into an open sketch in SW? Accuracy of transfer is a must.

I can use stationline (X) / buttlines (Y) / waterlines (Z) as a means of scaling the point loft to correct scale after import.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

• Re: Digitizing Device for Converting Mylar Loft to 2D point Data
          Christopher Estelow

Not sure how to do it but maybe reading this will give you some ideas.  Looks like the LaserTracker can help.

Chris

Jeff Dion

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the input. Our company has Laser Tracker equipment but in this case my raw data is a .tiff file of the actual microfish loft lines.

I want to use the original existing mylar loft as it is already in existance. Just need to know how to import it into SW. The loft has WL & STA lines that I can use to scale it up to full size. It looks like I can import the .tiff file as a picture and create sketches from the loft and then save as Blocks. The blocks can be oriented and scaled as required.

Anyone else have any guidance on this process?

Thanks,

Jeff

Lenny Bucholz

if you can get the data into an excel format you can import it using insert\curve\ curve through XYZ points from the pull downs

Creating Curves Through XYZ Points

To create a curve through XYZ points:

1. Click Curve Through XYZ Points Tool_Curve_Through_XYZ_Points_Curves.gif on the Curves toolbar, or click Insert > Curve > Curve Through XYZ Points.
              2. Create new sets of coordinates by double-clicking cells in the X, Y, and Z columns and entering a point coordinate in each one. (Created outside of a sketch, the X, Y, and Z coordinates are interpreted with respect to the Front plane coordinate system.) 
                The numbers in the Point column define the order in which the points are connected.

3. Click OK to display the curve. The Curve Through XYZ Points FM_curve_thru_free_pts.gif icon appears next to the curve name in the FeatureManager design tree.

Tips for Working with Curves Through XYZ Points

Tips for working with this tool:

Open an existing curve file

Click Browse and navigate to a curve file to open. You can open .sldcrv files or .txt files that use the same format as .sldcrv files. You can also create 3D curves in Microsoft Excel for example, save them as .txt files, then open them in SolidWorks. Create a file containing coordinate values for curve points using a text editor or worksheet application. The file format must be a three-column, tab, or space-delimited list of only X, Y, and Z coordinates. Do not include any column headings, such as X, Y, and Z or other extraneous data.

Change coordinates

Double-click in a cell and enter a new value. (As you enter values, notice the preview of the curve is displayed in the graphics area.)

Add a row

Double-click in a cell in the row below the last numbered row.

Insert a row

Select a number under Point, then click Insert. A new row is inserted above the selected row.

Delete a row

Select a number under Point, then press the Delete key.

Save the curve file

Click Save or Save As, navigate to the desired location, and specify the filename. If you do not specify an extension, the SolidWorks application adds the extension .sldcrv.