5 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 3:22 PM by Jerry Steiger

Inventor v SW

Steven Smith

Just saw a video for Inventor 2015. Looks awesome compared to anything SW have done in the past few years.

• Re: Inventor v SW
          Kelvin Lamport

Can you post a link to the video?

Or can you describe what IV15 can do that SW14 cannot.

Steven Smith

In general, I've always found Inventor far superior for sheet metal.

Although when it comes to surfacing, SW works better for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soBVbKVRKjA The across bend feature is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soBVbKVRKjA Inventor, What's new.

Andrew Keefe

They both their own strengths and weaknesses; however, SW is much more conservative in their development than IV.  Every new Inventor release is so riddled with bugs that it's really a beta version that they force on those willing to put up with it and report back on the crashes until they can get it somewhat together in a service pack some months later.  Look at the forums and the craziness in the 2015 release already.  I don't see this happening in SW.  There are some things I like better in the IV workflow but that's probably out of habit more than anything.  Autodesk also habitually releases lots of half-baked features that look good for management and investors but hinder the actual use of the tool.  There are several of these lingering on without any sign of resolution (one example is the mini-toolbar that cannot be turned of and only has a few of the tool options listed - but it's transparent! yeah! - yet you wind up with two dialog boxes over your part at the same time).

In all, I'm trying to convince my employer to get off Autodesk subscription and increas the number of SW seats.

The grass is always greener...

John Burrill

Very interesting. 

I too would like more direct editing capabilities in SolidWorks.