4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 9:30 AM by Stephen Reed

Viewing Configurations History w/eDrawings

Stephen Reed

I'm  not sure if this is an Epdm question or an eDrawings question, but here goes. Many of our parts have multiple configurations.  Today, I was trying to view a parts history in Epdm to see when a particular configuration was added. However, when the older version opens in eDrawings to be viewed, I can only see the active configuration (I think). I don't see any way to view other configurations in that part nor are they listed anywhere that I can find.  Is there a setting I'm missing or is it not possible to change the current configuration being viewed?

We are using both SW2012 & Epdm 2012.

Thanks,

Steve

• Re: Viewing Configurations History w/eDrawings
          Jeremy Feist

I don't know how to do it in edrawings, but if you go to the contains or where used tabs in EPDM, each have a version and configuration dropdown. and the configuration dropdown will only show the cofigurations present in the version selected.

Stephen Reed

Jeremy, thanks but what I wanted was the "when" rather than the '"what"; that's why I was in history.  Now that I think about it; I probably should have put this in the eDrawings section as I believe it is more an eDrawings issue than Epdm. Since I posted yesterday, I used eDrawings to view a file with several configurations. In eDrawings, I can't even see that there are more configurations to view; I only see the one that opens.

It seems that eDrawings is pretty useless to view SolidWorks files if you can only see one of several configurations. That is why I'm wondering if it's my limited knowledge.

Interestingly, when viewing a drawing (.slddrw), I see all the sheets. However, if I view the part (.sldprt), I only see the active current part without any indications that others exist.  Is it just me?

Thanks,

Steve

Jim Sculley

Per the eDrawings Help file:

"Only files saved in the eDrawings format have a Configurations tab you can use to change display states. Files in SolidWorks format are fixed, displaying the configuration and display state at the time of publishing."

If you want to know when a configuration was added, Jeremy's advice is sound.  On the Contains tab, change the 'Version' drop down to the earliest actual version and then look at the dropdown for Configurations, you should see only the configurations that were present when the file was added.  Change the Version dropdown to the next version and check the Configurations dropdown again.  Repeat this process until the configuration you are looking for appears.

This tedious process can be eliminated by stressing to users that it is important to use the check in comment to explain what has changed.

Jim S.

Stephen Reed

Jim, thanks for that.  I actually looked at the help file but somehow missed that part.  So, unless the sldprt is saved into the edrawings format, then there is no viewing other configs; sounds like something that would be nice for SolidWorks to add to eDrawings.  I just find it interesting that you can view different drawing sheets but not different configurations that drive those drawing sheets.

Our Epdm actually requires something in the comments section but many users get by that by putting a generic entry like "minor change" or even just a space.  Even though I'm the admin, I lack the authority to force users to change their behavior. However, we are beginning to make some progress in that regard by showing users how useful that information can be.

Thanks Jim & Jeremy