15 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 4:29 PM by Don Howe

show theoretical sharp corners

Don Howe

Is it possible for SW(2004) to show the theoretical sharp edges (corners) in a top view as opposed to tangent edges? Tangent edges makes the drawing look ugly and not very clean. If you were drawing this in a 2D system you would show the lines in the top view to the theoretical corners.

Or do you need to redraw the lines manually?

rollerarm4.jpg

• Re: show theoretical sharp corners
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Don,

Select any two non-linear edges, then select Point from the Sketch toolbar, all while holding down Ctrl.  That wil place a point (Virtual Sharp) at the intersection of the two edges selected.  That's assuming you meant SW2014 instead of SW2004.  I don't know if that was available with SW2004.  By the way, you can go to Tools > Options > Document Properties > Virtual Sharps to select a variety of display styles.

Don Howe

I think my original post was unclear. What I want to do is the following:

rollerarm3.jpg

The top view is how SW projects things with tangent edges visible. The bottom view is how the original drawing looks. I want the SW view to show the same thing. If I want to dimension the end radius of this arm, I can't select the true radius only one of the tangent edges.

Also, its no mistake, I am working with SW 2004

Glenn Schroeder

SW2004 was way before my time.  Maybe someone else can help.

Erik Bilello

Don,

I have recollections of SW2004 (Mostly that I was making about as much then as now, and we had benefits).

No automatic way to show the theoretical sharp edge that I can think of, not in SW2014 (I've just started playing with it) or back to '98. Can you make a configuration with the relevant fillets suppressed and use that in the views where you need the sharp edges showing?  Another possibility that might work for you would be to create a sketch (there might already be one, depending on how the model was made) that follows the desired sharp edge.  Set this sketch to show in the views where you need it.

Don Howe

Thanks Erik

I'll check out my sketches as you suggested and see if any of them will work for me.

Wow! Even with SW2014 they still haven't figure out how to do this?  I don't feel so bad now 

Erik Bilello

Well, I haven't checked everything in '14 yet, I'll poke around in it some more when I get home (still '13 here) but I'm not optimistic.  I don't often need that functionality myself, but there have been occasion's.  I'm sure people who do more cast parts, or forgings have a need for this and I'm sure some of them probably have some good "work-arounds".  If so, I hope they post them, or maybe they have already if I were to look.

Don Howe

After working with my configuration manager I was able to produce a drawing which correctly represented the draft in the top view. In this instance using a part configuration with the radii suppressed was the correct answer. I did notice that when I was in the drawing view I couldn't modify certain dimensions unless I switched the configuration manager to right part configuration. I didn't see any way to do this from the SW drawing so I had to keep my part open and switch it from the different configurations.

draftview.jpg

John Lhuillier

I've had to do this quite a bit & the only workarounds I've found are those that Erik mentioned. I'll use either the sketches I made to create the solid or suppress the radii in a configuration

Christopher Estelow

Not sure if this is what you want.....Right click on the view and select tangent edges then click tangent edges removed.

Untitled.png

Chris

****EDIT -  ATTACHED EXAMPLE ****

Jody Holm

Don, I feel your pain. It's a simple part but you still can't detail the boss's in the top view...like you should (always dimension a diameter in the view where it looks like a diameter). The dimension to the tangent of a fillet is not going to do anybody any good.

Chris's example would work only because there is no draft on his part.