6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 11:36 AM by Philip Lewis

Copying excel cells to drawing

Ama Rok

Hello everyone, I have a problem about this issue.

When I copy cells to drawing file of solidworks, sometimes it is not scaled 1:1 and it does not look good when saved as pdf.

Unlike blocks, there is no option to pinpoint corners of the cells.

And most important thing is, when I select specific cells, It paste whole excel documents with other pages inside excel as well.

Can you suggest me another solution?

Is there a macro to make blocks with inserted information via a dialog box maybe?

• Re: Copying excel cells to drawing
          Philip Lewis

I'll try to help if I can. Using excel in Solidworks isn't a perfect process but neither is their solidworks tables.

You will not get an excel document to paste in as 1:1 because it is read as an OLE object. It can make it difficult if you need it to be exactly 1:1. All that I have ever been able to do is manually streach the table with the corner grips to get it close.

If you print to PDF instead of save as PDF you will not have the weird look to the excel table.

I assume you mean locate by corners when you say pinpoint. There is no way I know of to do this either. It is a matter of ligning up the corner as best as possibel visually. I usually can get decent results just buy zooming in and moving it around manually.

You could always delete the extra sheets in the solidworks pasted excel document. If it is a big issue (maybe your excel documents have 20 sheets or something) you can minimise this using excel. In whatever excel file you are in right click on the sheet tab on the bottom of the sheet your information to be used is on. Select "Move or Copy..". On the drop down under "To book:" select "(new book)". Check the "Create a copy" box and hit OK. You should now have a new spreadsheet with only one sheet. If there is any other information you don't want to copy you can delete it here without fear of messing up your original document.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Feist

I don't understand how you get to this:

And most important thing is, when I select specific cells, It paste whole excel documents with other pages inside excel as well

we copy paste data from excel cells to SW table cells all the time, and it never gets the current excel sheet added, mot to mention EXTRA sheets.

Philip Lewis

He's not pasting into a SW table. He is just pasting into a drawing. If you just do a copy on a group of cells in excel and then do a Ctrl+V in a drawing it will insert it as an OLE object. This is what we did at my last employer for our drawing BOM's. Our models didn't have a lot of information on them and we didn't have the time or resources to update our entire library. We just found it easier to work in excel files then the SW tables when it came to straight data entry.

Craig Kelley

Also, you can print screen or save excel as an image then insert the image into your drawing.