4 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2014 10:39 AM by Robert Gordon

Computer performance testing for Solidworks feasability?

Robert Gordon

Below are the instructions. I left-click the Windows START button, then click what to test for suitability for testing for Solidworks 2014? Please understand that not everybody is a computer geek, some of us are stepping into Solidworks from a machine shop that is lacking in computerization.

The Test

The performance test can be started from the Windows start menu / SolidWorks <version> / SolidWorks Performance Test. Or it can also be started in the Add-In tab for SolidWorks Rx.

• Re: Computer performance testing for Solidworks feasability?
          Anna Wood

Is SolidWorks installed on the computer you wish to test?

Can you elaborate a bit more on your problem you are trying to solve?  You haven't asked a question with your post.

I would also suggest getting with your SolidWorks reseller.  They can help you with determining if your computers are up to the task of running SolidWorks.

Cheers,

Anna

• Re: Computer performance testing for Solidworks feasability?
              Robert Gordon

Ding-Ding-Ding! Winner!

Anna, thanks, you hit the nail on the head, as always..."I would also suggest getting with your SolidWorks reseller.  They can help you with determining if your computers are up to the task of running SolidWorks."

It is a Toshiba Satellite, currently loaded with my 2013-2014 Student Edition of Solidworks. So far it has done all the simple stuff I do, but I was wondering...naw, it probably would have ended badly in a smoking pile of charred metal and molten plastic. (On the other hand, my Dell M6400 is not a concern.)

As to the problem I was trying to solve:

"The performance test can be started from the Windows start menu / SolidWorks <version> / SolidWorks Performance Test. Or it can also be started in the Add-In tab for SolidWorks Rx."

1. I left-click the Windows START icon
              2. I put the cursor over the Solidworks icon, there is no "Solidworks Performance Test " that is called up. (If I click the Solidworks icon, it opens Solidworks.)
              3. Where is the "Add-In tab for Solidworks RX"?
              4. Is the reason things don't happen the Student Edition currently loaded?

The reason I'm not checking with my Dell is that I don't have any anti-virus installed, so it only got connected to the internet twice: Windows upgrade to Professional, and to download the 2014 Standard version of Solidworks.

Which brings up the question of anti-virus software, and the versions on the Solidworks website as having the official O.K., they are 2012 versions, let me check my calendar, yup, it is 2014, has been for months. I noticed in some of the postings on this forum that the latest version of Kaspersky is not playing well in some situations (Hello Solidworks, time to update the list to 2014 spec's?), so I'm going to take your advice of "I would also suggest getting with your SolidWorks reseller." A tip o' the hat in thanks for your suggestion.

Message was edited by: Robert Gordon-corrected spelling