6 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 12:48 AM by Denny Peter

Drawing templates

Ken Pollex

I made my personal 2D templates. I went into Tools, then options and then default templates and asighned the drive for my templates. but solidworks does not seem to go to it. Anyone have any ideas.

• Re: Drawing templates
          Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  If you've done these things listed below your templates should be available.  Please let me know if this helps.

1.  Save your drawing templates (as .drwdot files) in the desired folder, preferably on your hard drive not in the SolidWorks installed folders, or on a network drive.

2.  Point to this folder at Tools > Options > System Options > File Locations > Document Templates.

3.  Go to File > New document (or something like that, I'm at home and don't have SW here to check the wording).  When the dialog box comes up, choose the Advanced tab.  Your templates should be there available to choose.

Ken Pollex

The issue is that the templates are on our network drive. my company has a few seats of solidworks and want us all working with the same templates. Is it solidworks 2013 that dont like the network drives?

Eric Fox

Ken,

If you are using a network drive, you need to make sure that you are directing solidworks to the network location, NOT a mapped drive on your computer.

Glenn Schroeder

Network drives aren't an issue, everything I do is on one and I don't have any problems with it.  If you followed the steps I gave above the templates should be there.  In step 1 I did say on your hard drive or on a network drive.

Eric Fox

Network drives are an issue at my company, but it's more of an issue with our IT department than with SW. When are new PC is set up here, they map to the Engineering, Marketing, etc. drives, and will name the drive "W:" on one PC, and "V:" on another. This essentially makes any file locations set up on one PC not valid on another if the settings profile is saved from one PC and applied to another. This has caused tons of issues here, but again, it's an IT issue, not a SW issue. It was more of a warning than a hard rule.

Network locations in my experience are more robust than mapped drive locations when exporting settings and applying to new PCs. So, not an issue with saving the templates to the network drive, just how SW is directed to them.

Denny Peter

Hi Ken

Drive name can be anything, follow what Glenn suggested, it will work fine. Pls see the image

Untitled.jpg