4 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2014 8:36 PM by Oakkar Zaw

creating solid using surface wizard from a mesh

Oakkar Zaw

hi all

i currently have a large mesh data of a surface scan which i use meshlab to crop bits and pieces into solidworks for use as a STL file graphic body, there are too many faces to form a solid. basically i create solidworks parts that will be made to sit on top of this surface with the surface profile being generally flat with hemisphere protrusions along the length of the surface

currently i use 3D sketch points on the STL graphic body to locate reference points and use assembly mode with the created solidwork parts and STL graphic body. i then align the mates using the sketch points and use wireframe view to see how the solidworks parts sits on top of the STL graphic body to check for clearance/interference with the protrusions. it is a bit cumbersome so i thought i could use the mesh to create to a surface using the surface wizard, then the surface can form the back face of the solidworks part resulting in a solid and also saving time in fiddling around to check if the parts will sit nicely on top.

however i am finding issues in creating the surface as there are too many faces(20k) on the mesh(?). using guided creation loses quite a lot of the surface profile details and i cannot use automatic creation as it says the model size is smaller than 1mm. is there any other alternatives? i'm using solidworks 2012

• Re: creating solid using surface wizard from a mesh
          Mark Biasotti

Hi Oakkar,

Sounds like you' imported the mesh in the wrong scale. Using the ScanTo3D add-in and the special ScanTo3D file type to open the stl - go to options when opening and set the units to the proper unit type when importing. It will take some trial and error to figure out what unit it was built in. You should be able to open a mesh of any size - only limited by your memory. In the past I've open mesh and Point Cloud of +6 Million on 12G of Ram. The Surface Wizard>automatic creation does work but is really only good for organic forms. Guided creation is better for prismatic parts and the most often used method is to use the mesh as reference for creating your own surfaces. Sounds like you've discovered the snapping capability of Scanto3D meshes when drawing 2D and 3D sketches.  Can you post the STL or SW part?

Mark

Oakkar Zaw

hi mark,

thanks for the reply, attached is mesh in a solidworks part. i will see if i can play again with it later. i also read about scaling the mesh using mesh edit which might allow automatic creation in surface wizard to work and will see how that works out as well.

Mark Biasotti

First off, I think that you imported your part in the wrong unit since it is very very small. Second, guided extraction is the best choice for this part. It looks to be an extruded ruled surface with dimples. I did some repositioning of the mesh to center it around the default planes (but also the mesh needs some slight rotation and alignment - you can see this in the picture below as the mesh is not linear with the default planes).  I used 3D sketch to try and accurately measure one increment and then split the mesh (2nd step in guided extraction) between 2 planes to isolate that part of the mesh. Now working with just that portion I did guided extraction of 2 faces; a ruled surface and a spherical for the dimple. Once I had those, I added a radii between the dimple and the ruled surface and then patterned.  I realize that you are working in <SW2013 so you probably will not be able to read the attached file.

Remember that you can do any step in mesh prep or surface wizard and then leave the wizard and reenter - i.e. you don't have to do all the steps at once.

Also, the resolution of the mesh could be better. You can only be as accurate as the information that you are given.

Mark

Oakkar Zaw

Very much appreciated Mark, learnt something there about checking for mesh alignment with default planes. In the end I went through a few hoops to get the mesh data as a surfaces in IGS format. Also learnt how to change the units of a IGS file as the export file was converting [mm] to [in] (1 mm = 1 in). I'll give it a go again with your suggested method however, creating a linear pattern of the dimples is a no go as there are variations between the dimple spacing and dimple sizes to a lesser extent.

As for mesh resolution that is out of my hands so unfortunately I cannot do much about that. On a side not I don't know why I didn't think of using "dimples" as opposed to "hemisphere potrusions".

Thanks again.