4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2014 2:16 PM by Eric Fox

GTX 860m

Drew Micek

I am wondering if a GTX 860m graphics card would work well with Solidworks. Any thoughts?

• Re: GTX 860m
          Kelvin Lamport

The GTX 860m is a definite maybe ... but unlikely to work well for SW.

The Geforce series cards are typically not suitable and are not approved by SW. Some people have reported good success with the GTX6000 series, but others not so much.

Jeff Holliday

The safe bet is to check the suggested hardware listing on the SW Customer Portal. The cards listed there may be more expensive but the cost difference could be eliminated when you run into a problem caused by the use of a non-workstation approved card. I realize that it seems odd that a card capable of playing advanced-graphic games may not be suggested for SW use and also that a workstation card may not play some games as well as the other. You may be able to get some good deals on workstation cards on ebay or elsewhere.

By the way - welcome to the forum!

Chris Challinor

Yes it will work, but you will not have Real View with the "factory" drivers.

There are non-factory drivers out in the wild that will trick the GTX into thinking it is an over priced workstation card that will give you the real view function back.....up to you to decide if you really need real view or not.

My "gaming machine" runs circles around others work stations while running SolidWorks.......