8 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2014 9:59 AM by Scott Jenkins

Title blocks and sheet formats

Scott Jenkins

Hi all,

I am very new to solidworks I went on vacation and came back to find a new computer and solidworks. I am trying to setup multiple sheet formats in each standard ansi sheet size. I have one good template that I would like to use as a base line for all the sheets. I understand that a title block is just that a block but when I try to save it and then insert it into a different sheet format I cannot find that title block. Very confusing solidworks in terminology when compared to Autocad and no we do not use autocad anymore

• Re: Title blocks and sheet formats
          Anna Wood

No one else at your company has setup the company standards yet for SolidWorks?

Get Matt Lombard's SolidWorks Administration Bible.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_12?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=solidworks+administration+bible&sprefix=SolidWorks+a%2Cstripbooks%2C330

Cheers,

Anna

John Burrill

Scott, to clarify the differences among a sheet format, a block and a title block:

a block in SolidWorks is very similar to a block in AutoCAD both in the way that it's created and stored and the way attributes are populated.  You can use blocks in a drawing for symbols or borders. 

block_w_attributes1.PNG

To make an attribute in a block definition, create an annotion text entity and while it's selected, populate the 'attribute' checkbox in the property manager.  You can use a block for a drawing border by placing it in the sheet format of the drawing.  However, you can't modify attribute values from the sheet and I've had problems getting hatched regions of title blocks to display correctly.  So while you can use a block for a border, there isn't really an advantage to doing so.  blocks can be saved to external files.

A titleblock is not a block.  A titleblock is a selection of text entities in the sheet format that can be edited from the sheet level.  To create a titlebock, edit the sheet format, right-click over the sheet area and select "Edit Title Block" from the context menu.  You can set which notes are editable and the margins and the tab order of each one. 

title_block.PNG

If a note in a titleblock is linked to a custom property, double-clicking and changing that note will update the custom property.  When you save a sheet format to an external file, the titleblock is included with it.  You can have more than one titleblock in a drawing, but you can't have two titleblocks updating the same custom properties.

A sheet format is a container of graphics and note objects along with a layer schema, custom property set and sheet size information that is rendered behind the drawing views and annotations at the sheet level.  When you create a document template for a drawing, you specify a sheet format for each sheet in the template (you can specify the same one more than once).  You also can specify the default format to use when new sheets are added.  You can save a sheet format to a special file with a slddrt extension. You can replace the sheet format information on a sheet from this file. 

sheet_format2.PNG

Updating a sheet format will delete unused graphics and text (from the sheet format not the drawing sheet) and add missing layers and custom properties and set the page size.  Changing a sheet format will not affect document settings, drafting settings or drawing units.  Those are stored in the document template.

A template is SolidWorks document renamed with a special extension that's used as a boiler plate for creating a new document.  Once a document has been created, it has no connection to the template.  You can't, for example, reload a template in a drawing.  The subset of template settings that define annotation, dimension and table settings can be exported to a drafting standards file.  This file can then be used to update existing drawingsdrafting_standards2.PNG

Glenn Schroeder

Welcome to the forum.  It sounds like you have a busy time ahead of you making the transition.  Hopefully it will go smoothly, and be sure to come back here whenever you have a question.  In addition to the other links and information you've been given on this issue, here's another discussion that may be of some help: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/57204.

Also, here is a discussion with information to help you get the most out of the forum: https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/39793.  (It's Deepak's, but I'm sure he won't mind me posting the link.)