7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2017 7:36 AM by Pedro Rangel

Difference between contacts in static simulation

Fahmi Ahmad

Hi everyone,

Can anybody help me to explain the differences between contacts in solidworks simulation (global, component, local) and on what condition to use those contact?

• Re: Difference between contacts in static simulation
          Devi Prasad Samal

Hello Fahmi Ahmad,

I am not an expert but I can say that Global contact is by default "Bonded" applied to your assembly. that means all the compoenent which are in contact with eachother will be treated as full penetration welded to each other. Use of global contact is: you dont have to go to every touching faces in the assembly to define a contact option manually.

The contact which do not need welded joints such as In bolted type connection, 2 plates are not welded, they are holded together by bolts. SO we need to apply no-pentration there. hence at that condition we need to apply local contact(No-penetration) which will overide the global contact bonded once you applied them.

Most of the times I use surface to surface contact i.e contact set to over ride global bonded contact. Also You can use component contact to over ride the global contact. Both contact set & component contact are local contact sets.

Component contact can be applied between 2 component and contact set is used to apply contact between 2 faces. In component contact you can slect 2 components and solidworks will automatically try to find out the faces which are in contact with eachother and apply the contact over there.  But in local conatct set you have to choose every touching faces manually to apply contact.

But I believe component contact uses more resource than contact set.

Hope it helps.

Justin Strempke

Just to note, those are not contacts but rather contact locations.  Contacts would be bonded, no-penetration, etc.

Global is indeed all touching FACES, it will not include lines or vertices.  Component is the same as far as I know, just faces but only between chosen bodies.  Local gives line/point contact availability to a chosen face.

Besides that, they have a heirarchy in implimentation - Contact sets override Components, while both override Global.

Fahmi Ahmad

Hi Guys,

Great explaination by u guys. Help me a lot in understanding those things. Thanks mate

Devi Prasad,

Let say I have two assembly part and every part in each one of the assembly is connected by full penetration welding and those two assembly are connected by bolt. So, by using your explaination, first I need to set the component contact for each assembly to bonded and set the local contact between the assembly using no penetration, right?  Or do I need to set the full assembly contact to global contact bonded and then override the contact set between the assembly using no penetration contact set?

Can you help me with this.

Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Jared Conway

choose the type of contact based on the connection type (ie where they are welded, use bonded, where they can separate use no pen)

and then use the contact definition method based on the least amount of work, if most faces are bonded, use global bonded and over ride with no penetration on the faces that seeparate

Devi Prasad Samal

Fahmi Ahmed,

Sorry for the late reply. Both the option mentioned by you will work. But the second option will take less time, where by default global contact bonded is selected for whole assembly and u need to apply only local contact No penetration between the two assemblies connecting faces which will override global contact bonded option.

Also as per Jared's explanation, best way to select contact is u have to find out how much bonded and no-penetration is required for the assembly. if no-penetration is more than bonded, then u have to use global contact to no-penetration and over ride them with bonded local contact. it all depend upoan what type of asembly u are using.

Eyup Firat Aydin

Hello Davi

I am just involved in the Solidworks simulation. Formerly I used some other tools long time ago. But now refreshing my skills

However, I am also pretty confused with contact types of solidworks.

I rescently downloaded some tutorials.

There was an assembly with bolt connection.

The boundary conditions are represented both by, bolted connections and global assembly bonded contact.
                    Then I think to myself "HEEY! that contact must be wrong, then i switch it into *component no penetration*"

Both results were EXACTLY the same. Looks like that bonded contact is not acting like "all parts are welded together" all the time.

OR what can be wrong with my analysis?

Cheers

Pedro Rangel

Hello all,

Fahmi, thank you for your question, and rather than an answer I was hoping to find out what contact situation best represents a fillet weld rather than a full penetration weld?

Any help from this helpful forum would be much appreciated.

Pedro Rangel