8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2014 1:59 PM by Ashok Anumula

Imported IGES assembly with parts that cannot be recalled...

David Smith

I recently imported an IGES file assembly from a supplier website and opened it in SW2013. I filed the assembly and exited the SW session. I then tried to call up one of the parts making up the assembly and got the following error message:

"An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end."

The part file and a couple of others would not open giving the same error message. I then called up the assembly and all of the files I could not open were suppressed in the assembly. As I tried to unsuppress the parts, and got virtually the same message. I exited this SW session and tried to call up the assembly again and it would not open giving me this error message:

"Unable to open assembly. Call your technical service representative for assistance."

What the heck is going on and why can't I open these parts and assembly???

• Re: Imported IGES assembly with parts that cannot be recalled...
          Jeremy Off

I have been encountering the same issues, on iges and step files.

Often times it actually crashes the SolidWorks session as well.

I have tried importing small models, less than 40 components, and less than 4MB step files to no avail.

I have a performance workstation too and am getting frustrated with this repeated behavior.

Jerry Steiger

Jeremy,

Try posting some of the files that fail here and send them to your VAR. If other people don't have any trouble, perhaps you can figure out what is causing the problems on your system. If other people also have trouble then the folks at SolidWorks can work on finding out whether the problem is in SW or in the sender.

Jerry S.

Jeremy Off

Here is a model that our customer provided us with, and that also errors out on us in the way mentioned above.

Jeremy Off

Here is what I sent to my VAR last week as you suggested recently:

A couple guys at work here with myself included have been having a hard time importing files from our customers as of late.

The long and the short of it is this:

We import a file (.step for instance) and all seems to go according to plan (pic 1). Although everything loads lightweight, I can rotate, show/hide, etc.

But after saving the top level assembly after import, when I go to open an individual part from the feature tree, for instance the top one in the tree (pic 2) I get that annoying error. And it persists for each and every part thereafter.

And what makes it worse, is that after that error, those parts disappear from the screen, almost as if the file doesn’t exist for the geometry. (pic 3)

A similar issue arises when you are dealing with a sub-assembly within an assembly. Everything looks good on the screen, even in pic 4 where everything appears to be resolved.

But when you attempt to open one of the imported sub-assemblies, everything goes awry. (pic 5)

For every file that is referenced in that sub-assembly and even in child sub-assemblies, you get a separate error message stating the same thing, shown there in pic 5.

And again, when the error messages finally disappear, nothing is left in terms of the original geometry. (pic 6)

Once every 4-5 times or so, SolidWorks actually hard crashes, and closes completely after failing.

I am wondering why we have never had these issues in the past when importing files into SolidWorks.

I have tried importing on multiple computers with multiple files, and as of late we have had terrible luck and encountered these two errors on numerous occasions.

Jerry Steiger

Jeremy,

I'm still running SW2010, so I'm afraid my input isn't very helpful, but I was able to open your file without any of the problems you mentioned.

I notice you say that "everything loads lightweight" and your picture 1 shows that. My system is not set up to load parts lightweight. What happens if you attempt to resolve the assembly and parts before you do anything else? What happens if you change your options to load assemblies fully resolved?

Jerry S.

Jeremy Off

I have since solved the problem. In my system options there is an option under default templates to "Prompt user to select document template."

I had this set to "Always use these default templates" because we have constructed custom templates here at work.

By changing the radio button setting for forcing the user to select which part / assembly template to use when importing geometry, I was able to successfully import all the previously unsuccessful files by selecting the native SolidWorks part and assembly templates instead of my companies custom templates.

Apparently my companies custom templates are no longer compatible with the import feature in SolidWorks and errors out continuously.

Thanks for following up none the less.

Ashok Anumula

Have the same problem with IGES and STP files that are imported as assemblies only. I get the error message ""An attempt was made to access an unnamed file past its end."

This started happening after user accounts were copied cause we moved to a newer server. (did copy my previous solidworks settings) Not sure if the problem is tied to user accounts but I strongly believe it is. Some setting some where did not get transferred and I am having hard time pin pointing it.

The templates are the same.

Other problems I had were, unable to use task scheduler after a week or so it started working, Did not change any setting.